Do I need a new roof?

Old 09-17-06, 03:29 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Unhappy Do I need a new roof?

When the chimney sweep was walking on my roof I noticed he sort of sunk in one spot. Since siding companies were already coming to my house I asked one to look at the roof. Unfortunately it was raining, so the best he could do was look in the attic and a little at the roof from outside on the back deck.

He pointed out staining on some trusses and sheathing from previous water damage (close to the center of the roof), but said the wood was all dry and that the second roof was probably put on to solve that leaking problem. There's only a partial floor in my attic so he couldn't get out to the eaves, but he was suspicious of some dark colored wood at the back of the house (although admitted it could have been bad lighting).

My questions:
1. Who do I get to tell me if I really need a new roof? Do I get a home inspector type person, or just someone from a roofing company?

2. This one siding/roofing company gave me a general bid that included one 32 sq ft replacement piece of sheathing, but any other rotted wood that needs replacing would be $3 a sq ft. That's $96 for a piece of OSB! Is that a reasonable price?

Thanks to all,
beth

Old 09-18-06, 06:08 AM
W
Received 65 Upvotes on 56 Posts
Roofing

I recently had a new roof installed. The contract included materials and labor. Since we could not be sure about what sheathing needed to be replaced until the old roof was removed, any needed sheathing replacement was added at $35 per 4x8 sheet, materials and labor.

I live in Northeast Tennessee and the work was done by a very reputable roofing contractor. Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: