Ice and water shield types

Old 09-18-06, 05:39 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ice and water shield types

This site lists two types of ice and water shield on the market -- self-adhesive, and stapleable. I like the idea of stapleable material, since I can position it exactly in place before securing it to the roof. Can somebody list the pros and cons of each type to help me decide?

Old 09-20-06, 03:09 PM
I would not even look at the stapled type. Always use the stick down. It has a peal off backing so you can place it correctly.

Old 09-20-06, 05:15 PM
K
Thanks. I was at Home Depot yesterday and looked at some of their material. Their ice and water shield was granulated, same as what the contractor recommended for the valleys in a quote I got some time ago. Is granulated necessary, or even the best choice? I plan on overlapping shingles at the valley. It seems that everyone is doing it that way in my neighborhood.

On a side note, I was quite a bit let down on what Home Depot had to offer in roofing materials. I'll be looking around for other places for roofing supplies.

Old 09-20-06, 07:40 PM
Kestes:
It comes in granulated and smooth. We always use granulated because it is easier to walk on. Not slippery or slick. We always run ice and frost up all of our valleys, before we apply felt and shingles.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: