Gutter Filter opinions

Old 09-19-06, 07:28 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gutter Filter opinions

Any opinions or experiences with Gutter Filter?

I am on a homeowners association board and this product is being advocated by some residents.

It is a very porous foam material that is placed in (not over) the gutter that prevents debris from coming in and does not appreciably decrease the flow. The site is www.gutterfilter.com

I personally think that in time it would seriously decrease the flow, but I have to keep an open mind. Our gutters are about 40-45' long with one downspout per section, so they are taxed at times.

Thanks for the opinions in advance!!

Dick

Old 09-20-06, 11:58 AM
S
A little leary

I've never seen this item before, but went to their web site. I would be a little leary since any leaves or other tree related debris would sit on top of the gutter filter.

I grew up with large oak trees in my yard and in the spring they would drop long stringy things (sorry for the highly technical term, but I'm not a botanist!!) that would mat up in the gutters.

I believe any debris like this from trees would sit on top of the gutter filter and form into a mat. The manufacturers ascertion that everything would just blow off of the top of the gutter filter my or may not be true. I suspect some leaves etc. would blow off, but gutters collect a lot this from trees that aren't leaves as mentioned above and these may form a mat over the top of the gutter filter and cause the gutter to overflow.

Perhaps your association can do a couple of test houses and see how they perform. Unfortunately the test would have to cover all four seasons (if you have all four where you live) to see not only what leaves but snow, ice and heavy downpours have on this product.

Old 09-20-06, 11:11 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
so, does it freeze??

A little leary...
It looks like it would just act kind of like a sponge in the winter - and instead of a little bit of ice in the bottom of your gutters, you will have a solid wedge shaped chunk. I have had extremely good luck (and high demand) with the "trim a gutter" method by Van-Mark. (van-mark.com) Basically it's a brake that bends an aluminum gutter "cover" that installs over the gutter. It is quick to make and install, looks great (you can buy coil stock to match the color of the existing gutters) helps protect your facia, does not restrict the flow of water, and definately keeps your gutters clean. Oh, and it is inexpensive and will last as long as the gutter does!

Have a favorite window/siding/soffit contractor? They may just have one of these and can set you up - or if not, and you turn them on to it, they will probably do as many houses in the neighborhood as you want at cost because you have turned them on to such a $$$$ machine!

just my experience...

Old 09-21-06, 07:18 AM
K
A journalist in the home repair section of our newspaper recommends against using any kind of gutter shield. He says that though it keeps most debris out of the gutter, some debris will still accumulate over time and the gutter shield will preclude cleaning of the gutter. I too am curious of experience with these shields.

Perhaps the foam is coarse enough to allow cleaning with a jet of water. But I too am leary of its downsides.

Old 09-21-06, 08:35 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Im with the rest here. Forget it. Will jam up with yuck. Hold water in it and freeze. Home depot has a gutter cover that seems to work better than all the rest. Its like a metal cover that lets the junk slide off it and right at the edge of it the water can go down into the gutter. Or we use to have to clean the gutters out in the fall just before the snows start.

ED

Old 09-21-06, 09:04 AM
K
You only clean once?! Up here, I have to clean every couple weeks or so in late October, November, and through December. There's a big tree over my house, and the leaves still fall during the freezing weather.

Old 10-13-06, 10:53 AM
P
Stuff does work

My best friend installed gutter foam a year or two ago. We both live in the mountains with trees over the houses. This is the NJ/PA (pocono area), where we have had three 100 year floods in the past two years. In one storm we have 14+ inches of rain, and not a drop went over the edge. The force of the water washing down pushes the leaves and sticks off the roof while the water goes through the foam into the gutter.

Not only did he not have a problem with drainage or clogging, but he noticed a considerable reduction in ice dams last year.

I was planning installing the stuff on my house this winter, but now I can't figure out between gutter foam and gutter champ.
I'm going to go with the champ if I can - it's cheaper - if I can. I've read lots of good reviews on the foam, but only one good review on the champ.

This was the first of about 5 sites that I read something negative, but it the negatives seem to be speculation, not emperical.

Some of the products have 25 year warranties and are polymyrs that don't corrode.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-29-09, 04:26 PM
Angry foam gutter filter does not work

Hi
I have had gutter filter (foam style) for about 5 years now. We live in a hardwood forest and the leaf problem is large.
I wrote Gutter Filter Canada and they promised a reply two months ago to a problem with plugging. Two emails since but no reply.
The filter has almost completely plugged and in a heavy rain the water just rolls over the top.
Look elsewhere.

Old 05-26-11, 08:22 AM
The foam types may be cheap, but simply not worth it. I'd go for the usual gutter cover instead than the foam type.

Old 01-06-12, 12:49 PM
G
GutterFilter Does Not Work for long

I also had GutterFilter installed about 5 years ago and it is also completely clogged. Rain just pours over the gutters.

After the installation it seemed to work fine with a moderate rain, but through the years has filled with debris. I removed one of the four foot sections and shook it out for 5 minutes. This seems to remedy the overflow, but the idea of removing and reinstalling from my gutters every few years ..... Definitely not worth it!

The warranty seems to be for defective material and even if they determined it is defective there is a $1.65 PER FOOT shipping and handling fee.

Old 03-02-12, 07:37 PM
Just an update on the original post -

Out HOA decided not to go with any gutter protection and remover the old gutters and replaced with larger seamless gutters (long runs with a jog or three). The biggest improvement was the large downspouts that could drain everything quickly and flush the gutter clean. In the fall, I even saw leaves blow up and out of a downspout. We have tall green ash trees, blue spruce (short needles), 20-30' crab apples and maples. Everything goes into the gutters and down quickly.

In the winter, our usual snow are the light type of snow followed by cold, clear winds, so the snow usually blows off or melts/sublimates due to sun even in cold weather. When we get the southern/eastern type of snow (wet and heavy) we do get some accumulation, but one year the HOA has only shoveled a potion of the roofs and let the sun, gutters and downspouts do their work. That yeas we had about 90" of snow, but no insurance claims. We are lucky that we usually have sun in the winter to assist the roofs and highway department. This year we are almost up to 24" and everyone is unhappy.

If I was in a different part of the country, the situation would be different after looking at the weather south and east of MSP where the weather can be nasty there, but also fun.

Dick

Old 08-27-13, 06:43 AM
R
We had 4 inches of rain and no problem

I always smile when I read reviews. On another site I read that a buy was upset because the foam filters were not working. Reading his review it was clear he installed the triangular foam upside down. Hm? Follow directions.

On this site I read a person espousing an expensive Brake and bend method. Not sure why they were posting such an item on a DIY site --- perhaps it is a type of marketing campaign.

Anyhow I recently installed Home Depo gutter foam. We had a 4 inch cloud burst last week and the water ran very well through the foam and yes the triangular foam does have a place that an open channel exists on the bottom.

I've watched leaves floating down on the top of the foam. The leaves that would normally go into the gutter but they rest on top and blow off later.

We have deciduous trees around our home, not evergreens. I do picture a possible problem if someone has evergreen needles falling onto the foam.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: