Flashing existing rubber roof balcony

Old 09-22-06, 09:34 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Flashing existing rubber roof balcony

I have a balcony on a 100 year old stucco house. I've been asked to rebuild the railing but noticed that the rubber roof membrane is not flashed. The exterior is stucco and the rubber runs about 4 inches up the side of the house. Inspection of the ledger and decking has not shown any damage.

How do I flash this? My thought is to cut a groove with a grinder into the stucco, 3 maybe 4 inches above the decking and insert a metal flashing that goes over the rubber membrane. I'd seal the flashing in with Vulkem. Problem is then there would be a metal flashing lying on the rubber membrane which would seam problematic.

There is no deck over the rubber, at this time, and I didn't plan on building one. Should this be step one making the metal over rubber not a problem since it wouldn't be stepped on?

Old 09-22-06, 11:17 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,900 Upvotes on 1,706 Posts
On the rubber roofs I have seen, the rubber always runs up the wall several inches, and a terminator strip is anchored to the wall to hold the top of the membrane. Vulkum or similar is used to seal the top of the terminator strip.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: