life of 2nd roof

Old 09-23-06, 03:28 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
life of 2nd roof

I've got 2 roofs on my 30 year old house. I don't know how long the 2nd roof has been on there. I had a sales person tell me that a 25 year shingle put on top of a 25 year shingle would only last 8-10 years (not 25 years), so I'll probably need a new roof soon. Does it really work that way?

Old 09-23-06, 04:17 PM
life of 2nd roof

The life of a second roof is definitely less than the life of the same roof put down as a new roof.

The xtra heat shortens the life. The amount depends on the exposure (N, S, E, W), the slope and the climate.

There is no simple formula to give you the life. The guarantee is not the same as the life.

Dick

Old 09-24-06, 12:44 AM
L
The front of my house faces almost due East, so the sun is on the front pitch in the morning and the back pitch in the afternoon, so I guess it gets max heat exposure. Does that mean I should choose a lighter colored shingle with a longer warranty (when I do get a new roof)? I was originally thinking about another 25 year shingle, but a friend was telling me she put a 50 year shingle on her house...

Thanks for your advice,
beth

Old 09-24-06, 08:50 AM
life of 2nd roof

The color is a personal choice. The sane shingle will be offered in many colors and all will have the same guarantee. The guarantee is really not how long a shingle will last, but how long it will have some sort of guarantee (pro-rated, material only, transferable, limited, etc.). To a great extent, the guarantee is a marketing feature since few people live in a home over 25 years.

Applying over an existing roof, you may have no guarantee or a limited guarantee.

For maximum life, the most important thing is to do a complete tear-off and start as if it was a new roof.

Dick

Old 09-24-06, 09:11 AM
L
Since I already have 2 roofs I will need to do a complete tear off, so I'm just wondering whether paying for the shingle with the longer warranty is worth the expense. Let's say I will move in 15 years or so; if there were 25-35 years left on the roof warranty instead of only 10, would the resale be worth having paid for the longer warranty shingle?

Also, does it not matter heat-wise whether I get a dark-colored shingle (like a brown that would go nicely with my almond siding), or a white shingle? (I was thinking the white would reflect the light and maybe absorb less heat, but it wouldn't look as nice with the siding.)

Thanks for your help.

Old 09-24-06, 09:42 AM
life of 2nd roof

Resale value will depend on two things:

1. If it is not transferable or is limited, the guarantee is of no importance.

2. Ultimately, when you sell, buyers put roofs in 2 categories - needs a new roof OR good enough for a while. They do not waste time on the little things like the details and limitations of the guarantee in case there is a problem a few years down the road.

Often, guarantees are made for the benefit of a salesman that needs help to sell an upgrade OR to brag about a life as long as the competitor. I think a very small percentages of the roof are replaced using manufacturer's guarantee funds.

If you have good ventilation under the roof, color is a personal preference. Roofing is a temporary wear item on a house. Your siding may last longer, but it may be changed in 25 years. Look around your neigborhood and see what works and ask the owners for information on what lasts where you are.

Dick

Old 09-24-06, 01:58 PM
L
thanks a lot for all your help!

beth

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: