Shingle Split

Old 09-24-06, 07:16 PM
B
Received 13 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Shingle Split

Hard to explain this one....

facia board wouldn't hold paint, peeling. Built the garage in 1989.

Up on the ladder today the bottom row of shingles has a split in it, starting just above the top of the drip edge. So, the water gets under the edge and soaks the facia board. This is about the middle of a 40' roof. I did put the first row upside down or whatever they call it.

Question: what would be best to seal this... caulking or that black stuff for roofs, I have both? The split is about 3" long to the end of the drip edge.

Thanks

Old 09-24-06, 07:30 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Not sure just what you have there. But Id use the black roof cement. Id get it in the caulk tubeand blade it in .

ED

Old 09-24-06, 07:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,900 Upvotes on 1,706 Posts
Baldwin,

Are these 3 tab shingles? And your first starter row- the one you turned upside down... are the the seams of your first row lined up with the tabs of the first course? (In other words, when you look between the tabs of your first course, can you see the seams every 3 ft in your starter row? If so, that might be the problem.

Old 09-24-06, 07:51 PM
B
Yeah, 3 tab shingles. No, they don't line up.

I thought I'd do a fancy job and every 4th row lines up. Lot of cutting but it looks nice.

No idea why there would be a split there after all these years, I could take a picture tomorrow.

I think I'll just do what Ed said and smear some black stuff in there and see if it works.

Thanks guys!

Old 09-25-06, 10:47 AM
W
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Baldwin - Is the first course doubled? Did you install a starter course upside down and then cover it with another course?

Old 09-25-06, 12:21 PM
B
As they say, a picture is worth yada, yada.....

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c98/Oriley/Shingles2.jpg

Guess I can't count either, every 3rd row lines up. The board below the crack is absolutely slimey on the back side. Don't suppose any paint will stick before winter arrives.

I have a gallon of Gardner Wet-N-Dry plastic cement in the garage, guess I'll use that.

Thanks

Baldwin

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: