Eavestrough Troubles...

Old 09-25-06, 07:26 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Eavestrough Troubles...

I have a fairly old house with an eavestrough with a serious slope problem. About 12ft of a 30 ft long eavesthrough is slopped slightly back towards the end of the eavestroughs where water should flow away from. The result is that this 12ft section always seems to have a resevoir of water even 2 or three days after it rains. The 1 or 2 feet of this 12ft section right next to the house can have up to a inch and a half of standing water, which leaks onto the porch steps and is now reaking havoc on the concrete in the summer, and creating mamoth icicles in the winter.

Replacing the entire eavestroughs system is tool costly, and I was considering using some type of filler to create an almost false bottom to the 12ft section with the wrong slope and in doing so recreate a pathway that would help water flow away from the house. But i don't know what to use.

Is this a good idea and if not what would you do? and what is the best way to do this ?

Old 09-25-06, 08:21 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

You would be better off. To take and rehang the whole gutter. So it has a fall to the other end .Dont try and fill in the bottom of it

ED

Old 10-01-06, 08:02 PM
S
eavestrough troubles

Thanks for the response Ed.

I wanted to do that. But I'm worried about seperating it, at the corner and taking it off. Plus right now the gutter sits right up against the roof, so re-hanging it, would just result in the same problem. The only way i see the problem being solved through re-hanging is if I cut away a long triangular piece of the material behind the eavestrough that sits up against the roof. It would be a relatively long triangle that would start out about a 1/2 inch down (12 feet) where the problem is and run slowly upward to the point where the problem stops. Then once re-hung the gutter would have a slope again.

This is the only way I see re-hanging the gutter possible. But is it possible? advisable? I went to Home Depot with this problem and the 'pros' could only help me with the new gutter system (rectangualr palstic or something) whereas mine is the older aluminum semi cirlce stuff.

any help/ suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Old 10-01-06, 08:36 PM
Wink

I dont get why you cant start at the high end. And drop the gutter down as you go to the other end. The gutter dont have to be tight to the roof. I have had some that almost came off the fascia board If it is to far down from behind the metal drip edge you just take a strip of sheet metal put it over the gutter and under the drip edge. stay with the alum metal gutter dont mess with any of the other .Home Depot and lowes has metal ones here. You could get new gutter . you put it together now with a gutter dope first and just over lap it about 3" to 4 " put about 3 pop rivets in the over lap If thats what you havw in itr now just drill them out with a 1/8" bit
Snap a line with a fall to the other end under it now then lower it down to that

ED

Old 10-04-06, 05:36 PM
S
eavestrough troubles

The reason i didn't want to start at the high end was because the high end is in the middle of a fairly long run. you see the low part is actually at the end of the run near my porch steps, and the high end is 12ft into a 40ft run to a downspout. I was hoping to just fix the 6ft that is sagging and not touch the other 40 feet. There's also a bend about 15ft down the run, so dealing with that seems complicated, plus i'd have to lower the downspout.

Old 10-05-06, 07:17 AM
W
Received 60 Upvotes on 52 Posts
Gutter

Consider adding another downspout.

Replacing an existing downspout is no big deal.

Otherwise, remove and re-hang the entire gutter.

Old 10-08-06, 09:03 PM
S
I wish i could add a downspout but no one sells this type of eavestrough anymore. And adjusting an eavestrough seems like a tough job to me, especially considering the fact that if i mess up, there is no replacement. I guess the real problem here is my lack of skill, lack of funds, and lack of options all coming together to ruin my porch.

I wanted to call someone, but alot of people just say that I'd need to replace the whole thing, and that was way too epensive at this stage in the game.

Old 10-08-06, 09:19 PM
Wink

I wish i could add a downspout but no one sells this type of eavestrough anymore. There"s OG and 1/2 round???????
What is it you have there. If its metal you can put a downspout outlet tube in it Id think

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: