Subfascia and Roof Sheathing

Old 09-27-06, 06:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Red face Subfascia and Roof Sheathing

I am putting the roof on a new storage shed. I am using 1/2" plywood sheathing, 2x6 rafters and 2x6 subfascia (will be covered with aluminum fascia). The slope is 5:12. Question 1: Do I need to bevel the top of the sufascia to match the slope of the roof so that the sheathing sits properly on top of it? Question 2: Should I nail the edge of the roof sheathing to the top of the subfascia board? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-06, 06:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 187 Votes on 176 Posts
1). No. If the roof sheathing is on first and you left it hang over the ends of the rafters 1 1/2", the subfascia will simply push up as high as it can go... the front edge of the subfascia will hit the plywood and that's where the subfascia should get nailed. If you are installing the subfascia before the roof sheathing, just install the subfascia so that it's top front edge matches up with the top of your rafters. It might help you to tack a board on top of your rafters to act as a "stop"... that way you'll know how high to set the 2x6.

2). It's not necessary, but if you want to pop a nail in here or there, it won't hurt anything.

Old 09-27-06, 06:41 PM
Subfascia and Roof Sheathing

XSleeper ... Thanks for the answers. Not having to bevel those subfascia boards will make life a lot easier. Sure glad I found this forum.

Old 09-27-06, 07:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 187 Votes on 176 Posts
yeah, it's great! Be sure you bookmark it and come back. glad to help.

Old 08-02-09, 08:13 AM
fascia/sheathing problems

Xsleeper, perhaps you can advise on the following: I'm ready to roof an 8 x 12 storage shed. I'm a novice and used a book, "Contemporary Sheds" as a guide. They don't explain fascia/subfascia/roofing very well.

The plan I consulted had 1x6 fascia flush with the surface of the sheathing, rafter tails angled to match the bird's mouth cut and pitch of the roof. I also found an online "standard" example of fascia also flush with the surface of the sheathing bevelled to meet the pitch and rafter tails plumb.

I'm doing the latter. Is this a mistake? With paper and asphalt shingles and drip edge, will there be any difference in how you do the fascia?

You advise extending the sheathing past the rafter ends. How essential is this? Some advice on roofing says extend the shingles past the sheathing

Also, what's the deal on drip edges? Above rafters, should you do it before putting down paper, but on a gambrel roof, after the paper?

Finally, I notice that on our 1980s house that an inch or so of overhang with shingles is supported by some kind of metal edge. Was this a kind of drip edge?

Any help is appreciated. Talk about a learning curve...