Gutters

Old 10-01-06, 01:57 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gutters

Are there any alternatives to gutters in the north east rainy windy snowy icy cold weather?
Huge pine trees clog the gutters and weigh them down with needles and cones. Repair seems futile.

Old 10-01-06, 03:01 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,267 Upvotes on 1,207 Posts
There are gutters with covers that keep stuff out. Leaf Guard and Gutter Helmet are two names around here.

Old 10-01-06, 04:59 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Gutters

Eliminate them if you can find a way to control the erosion and drainage.

Heavy plastic (sloped way from the house) covered with landscape rock is a option.

At my lake home, I had too many trees ranging from 40 - 80' White pine to lots of oak and brich. It seemed there was always something shedding in every season. Then there was the snow! The only thing that really worked was getting rid of the gutters.

Dick

Old 10-02-06, 09:21 AM
T
Yes...I see the gutters as a real problem!

I am putting the french drain (plastic, gravel and rock) on one of the worst areas as I write this and it helped a bit already after yesterday's rain. A bit of a pool away from house at least. The drained area is surrounded by asphalt driveway and walkway.
Did you extend the roof edge or anything? I have a top peak roof, 2 lower roofs over extensions and a little porch on the back lower roof which has a roof just below the top roof.
Maybe pics will help!!!
http://onfinite.com/libraries/1008092/f4c.jpg
http://onfinite.com/libraries/1008093/ebc.jpg

Old 10-02-06, 09:33 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Have you seen the new gutter guards . they are like a metal cover that the junk slides off with holes at the edge for the water to go into the gutter.

Ed

Old 10-02-06, 02:45 PM
T
gutter guards

I have seen them.
Is the bity fraction of an inch opening actually enough to gather torrential rain? We have some major weather here as the Susquehanna River and Chenango River floods can attest to.
The bombardment of pinecones might be twarted from entering but they still will hit the roof and gutters. Their weight has dented in every kind of cover I've tried to date and pull the gutters from the house.
Then there's the pine needles...lots and lots of pine needles. Small enough to go down that quarter of an inch opening. Seems they fill the gutters in a heartbeat and seedlings begin to grow. I've cleaned 'em about 4 times this summer and most are clogged up again!

Old 10-02-06, 05:08 PM
J
I live in a town without gutters. I thought it was weird until we had the roof re-done and all 3 contractors told us NOT to get them. One said flatly 'No house north of Virginia should have gutters.'

The nicer older house have granite slabs from the foundation to past the eaves.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: