Advise on order of roofing layers

Old 10-01-06, 06:31 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Advise on order of roofing layers

Please refresh my memory on order of layers for the little 4/12 4X8 roof I'm installing over an oil tank under an eave in VT. drip edge first, then Bituthane over the whole deck and drip edge, then starters on eaves and rakes, then shingle up and flash? Do I have the drip in the right place directly on the deck and under the bituthane? Do I need a starter strip for architectural shingles if I have all covered with bituthane with a non slip top (like sandpaper)? Or will the bituthane eventually stick to the shingles defeating the reason for a starter? Do I need to tar anything in here? Thx

Old 10-23-06, 03:36 PM
rUfUnKy
Visiting Guest
- drip edge first, then Bituthane over the whole deck and drip edge, then starters on eaves and rakes, then shingle up and flash?

Yes, you Flash as you shingle in a shingle flashing shingle flashing order..Your first piece will run right to the edge of the starter shingle.

-Do I have the drip in the right place directly on the deck and under the bituthane

No, put the bituthane under the drip edge letting it over hang the facier just enough so the drip edge still covers it. The reason for this is to prevent the ice and snow from building up in the gutter and makeing it's way behind the drip edge and rotting the edge of the roof.

-Do I need a starter strip for architectural shingles if I have all covered with bituthane with a non slip top (like sandpaper)? Or will the bituthane eventually stick to the shingles defeating the reason for a starter? Do I need to tar anything in here? Thx

Yes, you need a starter strip because bituthane is not made to face the weather.The Starter goes on over the bituthane. No need for Tar.

Last edited by rUfUnKy; 10-24-06 at 06:14 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: