Additional Shed Roof Questions

Old 10-03-06, 05:07 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Additional Shed Roof Questions

First a big thank you to XSleeper for anwering my earlier questions.

Now for some more.

1. I'll be putting metal drip edging along the eaves (under the felt) and rake edges (over the felt). What happens at the corners of the rakes and eaves? Do the drip edges simply but together or should the one be bent around the corner (e.g., the rake edge bent around the eave)?

2. Can I simply staple the felt down with 3/8" staples that I already have on hand?

3. Do the felt and shingles need to extend beyond the edges of the rakes and eaves? If so by how much?

4. I assume I need to put the aluminum soffits on before installing the vinyl siding and that the channel for the top edge of the siding just butts up against the underside of the channel that holds the soffits. Is that correct?

Thanks.

Old 10-04-06, 04:47 PM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Shed roof

1. Install the eave drip edge first. Bend around the corner and run up the rake. Overlap with the next piece and continue.
2. Stapling will not hold. Use roofing nails or the nails with the large, green washers.
3. Trim the felt flush. Extend the shingles one inch out.
4. Yes.

Old 10-04-06, 04:48 PM
W
Shed roof

1. Install the eave drip edge first. Bend around the corner and run up the rake. Overlap with the next piece and continue.
2. Stapling will not hold. Use roofing nails or the nails with the large, green washers.
3. Trim the felt flush. Extend the shingles out one inch.
4. Yes.

Old 10-06-06, 03:52 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks Wirepuller38.

One more question. I've got 2" and 2.5" galvanized spiral nails. Which ones should I use to fasten the 1/2" plywood sheathing to the rafters? I was told the 2.5" will be overkill.

Old 10-07-06, 04:55 AM
W
Nails

I prefer the 2.5" nails. These are the same length as a 8d sinker, which is a fairly standard nail for sheathing.

Old 10-07-06, 10:06 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,920 Upvotes on 1,724 Posts
In my area, 7d galv are (were) used for sheathing. The 2" nails would be fine.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: