Cedar Shake Roof

Old 10-04-06, 09:43 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cedar Shake Roof

I have the aforementioned type of roof. It's been on the house for at least the last 30 years if not more. I think the most attention it's ever had was to be coated with linseed oil quite a long time ago. Pieces fly off whenever we get a big windstorm and I'm thinking it's nearing the end of its usefulness. The question is: Can it be repaired and the shakes made to be like new or do I have to look at getting a completely new roof?

Old 10-04-06, 10:00 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 839 Upvotes on 736 Posts
I don't know what the average life span of a cedar shake roof is. Broken pieces can be replaced but it sounds like your roof may be toward the end of its life.
Common maintinence is to clean and then coat with a preservative every so often - as needed.

Old 10-04-06, 11:12 AM
G
30 yrs is a long time for a shake roof. And that's because they made better shakes than they do these days. If you look at your shakes compared to new shakes, your shakes probably still look better than the new ones. They make them a lot thinner now. I've got 18yrs on my cedar shakes, and they should probably already have been replaced. (I suppose having lots of trees around doesn't help them any)
It'll take some hunting, but if the majority of the roof still seems to be in good condition, it might be worth it to try to locate similar quality (thick) shakes to replace the weak ones.
A new roof costs big bucks, and you'll probably not get 30 yrs out of it.
Do you have moss and fungus growing on your roof? Area you're in...?

Old 10-04-06, 11:55 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

We have had them here in MO and down in FL at both places now its a no no. That old Id take them off and go with a good 3 in 1 . Could be you just have nail strips there now and will have to put new ply wood down on the roof first.

ED

Old 10-04-06, 07:35 PM
S
We're on the west coast, so there are times during the year when we have torrential downpours and windstorms, but we also have hot sunny summers. There is no moss, and our roof is two sided with the sides being on the east and west. There are people who say they can restore such roofs to their original condition using some special chemical process for a fraction of the price of a new roof, but I know no one who's had this done. And is it true that a lot of modern shingles have paper/sawdust filler as part of their makeup? That's what a metal roofing guy told me.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: