Moss on roof.

Old 10-12-06, 03:22 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Moss on roof.

Hi and thanks in advance for your time. I have a shingle roof. The north side of the roof has moss growing on the shingles (pretty extensive). I know this is not too good. Any sugestions on how to remove it and keep it from growing back? I remember watching a "This Old House" episode in which they used a 10 to 1 bleach/water solution to kill the moss. They then added zinc stips to keep it from recurring. Does this sound OK to you folks?
Thanks.
Ray

Old 10-12-06, 03:31 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
A long handled stiff brush can be used to push moss off shingles, taking care to push as close to roots as possible and to push downward. Inspect roof to see that granules remain on shingles and in gaps between. If there are not many granules left, it's likely time for the shingles to be replaced.

Chlorine bleach is not favored. It can affect shingle color, kill vegetation, and cause corrosion of gutters and downspouts. Oxygen bleaches are recommended today. These are mixed with water and applied with pump sprayer on cool roof on overcast day. Do a section at a time, keeping surface wet with cleaner for 20-30 minutes. Repeat applications may be necessary. Doing a section at a time allows a dry place for standing and more secure footing. Once shingles are clean, metal strips can be installed. Many tend to recommend copper strips over zinc because copper is effective for a longer period of time.

Old 10-12-06, 05:19 PM
A
Thanks twelvepole! You helped alot. Thanks for your time and advice!
ray.

Old 10-13-06, 09:58 AM
P
Go with the bleach

If you have a thick layer, you may need more than one application or a stronger solution. Don't waste your time with the commercial products. My folks had a problem and they tried to use a commercial product - it stunk. Bleach worked

Spray it on, leave it on a while then rinse well. if you don't rinse, you may end up with green streaks down the side of your house.

Not sure about the zinc strips, but it's just as easy to buy one of those long range windex window cleaners that you attach to a hose and clean the roof as needed.

Old 10-13-06, 10:20 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

They then added zinc stips to keep it from recurring
Yes if you check the new shingles that say mold free have small zinc chips in them.
I have use pool chlorine thats 10%. in a Ortho Dial- Spray set on high. On a water hose has worked for years in Florida. If you dont have gutters . For sure cover any plants with a sheet of poly.

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: