Nails Covered with Caulk on New Install

Old 10-12-06, 05:08 PM
C
CT1
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Nails Covered with Caulk on New Install

Just had a new roof installed. Part of the roof is a gambrel roof with dormers. The contractor used nails to tack down the shingles at the pitch change and then caulked over the nails. These are visable and very ugly.

The contractor also nailed the roof shingles directly under dormers and caulked over those nails also.

I owe the contractor money still and want to know what should have been done and make sure it gets done. From what I have researched on this site I think he should have let the shingles at the gambrel mold themselves. I also think he should have installed flashing over the first course of shingles under the dormers.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Old 10-25-06, 02:12 PM
rUfUnKy
Visiting Guest
- The contractor used nails to tack down the shingles at the pitch change and then caulked over the nails. These are visable and very ugly.

Some times this is necessary due to the angle of the roof and the lack of flexibility in the shingle (especially if we are talking about architectural shingles) I often use Box nails and clear silicone calking in such areas. Other times roof cement on the under side of the shingle will do the trick.

-The contractor also nailed the roof shingles directly under dormers and caulked over those nails also.

This is also a area where face nailing is common depending on the home owner/roofers preference. Some will leave the flashing exposed others with face nail shingles over it.

- I also think he should have installed flashing over the first course of shingles under the dormers.

The flashing should already be there. It should come from behind the siding and down over the shingle. As stated above, some will leave the flashing exposed others with face nail shingles over it. Face nailing also helps prevent the flashing from blowing open in high wind areas and allowing rain to get in.

Last edited by rUfUnKy; 10-25-06 at 03:39 PM.
Old 10-25-06, 05:52 PM
P
a little trick to avoid that is to scrape some rocks off a shingle into a plastic cup and sprinkle them over the caulking

Old 10-26-06, 04:53 PM
caulk or roofing cement??

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: