Installing new bath vent - need advise on roof

Old 10-13-06, 11:52 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Installing new bath vent - need advise on roof

Can anyone help me with proper procedure for getting the vent new jack under the existing roofing shingles without causing leaks and keeping the scope of the work to a minimum? It s gabled roof, but the slope is fairly shallow.

Thanks
Brian

Old 10-15-06, 12:52 PM
B
So, no one has any sage advise to share? My main concern is that I the jack I purchased has a footprint of about 24"" X 20 ". How much of that can I cut down, and how do I go about pulling up the surrounding shingles without damaging them?

any comments would really be appreciated.

thanks again
brian

Old 10-16-06, 10:19 AM
M
Well, I'm no roofing sage, but I'll offer up the following:

The existing shingles will be brittle if it's cold where you are -- be extra careful not to break them. Each shingle has a sticky strip that seals to the shingle on top of it on a warm day. You need to gently use a flatbar or putty knife to lift up the shingle. When you do this, you'll see the nails from the shingle underneath to remove. Carefully remove the shingles if you intend to reuse them around the vent. Then cut your hole and install the vent per its instructions.

Old 10-16-06, 10:50 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Vent

Cut the hole through the sheathing and shingles.

Remove roofing nails from the shingles above the hole where the shield will fit. Do not remove the shingles.

Slide the shield under the shingles above the hole and leave on top of the shingles below the hole. Renail the upper shingles, nailing through the shield. Nail the shield below the hole and caulk around the nail heads with a good roof patching cement.

Install the pipe.

Old 10-16-06, 08:56 PM
B
Thanks for both replys - as usual, the logic is obvious in hindsight...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: