Old, old, leaking comp roof, low $$ temporary fix

Old 10-23-06, 08:08 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Old, old, leaking comp roof, low $$ temporary fix

I inherited an old farm, with an accompanying old farm house. The original part of the houseis guessed to be getting over 75 years old (maybe much older) with an old rusty galvanized barn roofing and no insulation, except for some fiberous press board material covering the walls. Fixed all those leaks. There's an addition 50 years or so old (or older) with 3 layers of comp shingles. The shingles are old and crumbling. Can't walk on it due to loose grains and very brittle, shingle breakage, compounded by the 5-6:12 pitch. Developed a massive leak a few months ago. As a temporary fix, I threw down some overlapping, vertical strips of roll roofing, I happened to have laying around, and used a bucket of roofing cement to seal the edges and nail holes. Strips also extend over the ridge and down the non-leaking side about a foot. Seems to have fixed the massive leak for now, except for one nail I neglected to seat and seal. Easy fix. Now that it has rained sufficiently, after months of drought in the MO Ozarks, I have found two, much more minor leaks on another section of the same side. Most likely cause by trying to walk up the roof and busting the potato chip like brittle shingles. Future plans for the entire roof are a metal roof, perhaps even regular galvanized corrugated, with modern sealing and insulation. I think the nostalgic look would fit the old house look. Whatever the case, I was looking for an alternate, down and dirty, temporary fix for the two new leaks, in a roughly 10 x 10 area. Question: Could I use a leaf blower or compressed air hose to blow off the loose stuff and poor/roll on some roofing material like that used to seal mobile home roofs, to seal the leaks? Or should I just go with another round of roll roof patchwork (would take less than a roll, and seems relatively effective)? Currently between jobs, so the metal roof is on hold for now. Looking for a 6 month fix. Prying up the old shingles and sliding new in at the "estimated" point of leak is not an option. They are just too brittle. Any relatively inexpensive, alternate temporary fix ideas would be welcome also. Additional info: All this is being done around the old (needs to be replaced) masonary chiminey that I use to heat the house with a wood stove. No leaks around the chiminey. Fire hazard conserderations with a glop on job? Please advise. Thanks....Randy

Old 10-24-06, 06:13 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
I wouldn't think any repair would make any difference as far as using the stove goes. Hopefully the chimney is tall enough so any stray sparks wouldn't land on the asphalt part of the roof.

Most of the older chimneys don't have a flue liner so inspect it well. Many old homes have had chimney fires because of a void in the brick/stone work.

Roller grade roofing/foundation tar is cheaper than Kool Seal [or generic] I'm not a roofer but I believe that should work.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: