plastic roofing

Old 10-26-06, 01:29 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
plastic roofing

Why don't they use plastic roofs in residential homes? perhaps, corrugated PC, or clear PVC .. Very common in industrial and wearhouses, but not homes .. they are cheap and easy to install . .are there any building codes that prevents using plastic as roofing materials . .thanks.

Old 10-26-06, 02:12 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
plastic roofing

Why not? - apperance, compatibility, architectural guidelines (developments, etc.), traditional framing/structural practices, personal preference and RESALE.

Granted, it is cheap, but after using vinyl siding, you can't have the cheapest of everything.

Dick

Old 10-26-06, 09:16 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Newer plastic roofing products, particularly fiberglass reinforced plastic roofing tiles is a growing market as is metal roofing. Recycled plastic roofing products are considered a lighter weight roofing option. Because they are recycled and reflect light and heat, they appeal to the 'green' builders. Asphalt shingles continue to dominate the roofing market.

Roofing materials must meet certain specifications to meet Building Code requirements. Building Codes tend to vary from area to area. In Massachusetts plastic roofing panels can be used for light transmission and the size of the area where they will be used is limited. If size of area exceeds limitation, sprinkler system is required. Codes do not apply to use on carports, enclosed swimming pools, or other areas where risk of fire is low.

Old 10-30-06, 07:41 AM
S
well, last year, i had purchased a cheap row house in a very poor part of baltimore city where all the homes have flat tar roofs. Most of these homes are in a very bad shape becasue either the landlords refuses to fix or owners don't have the money to re-roof. Additionaly, each house has already multiple layers of tar which has made the roof very heavy .. i know mine has like 10 layers, and i need to remove and re-roof which is going to cost me about $6000 to $7000.

I was thinking why not drop plastic on top of existing roof? (assuming building codes permit) .. I am thinking maybe $200 t0 $500 worth of material and a day of laber .. the only hard part would be to secure the sheets and to seal the sides ..I think it is duable! or am i out of my mind?

Old 10-30-06, 08:03 PM
L
i think it might not be used for one reason on roofs that use this stuff have a wall or ralls going around the building so you wont slip off roof. but i could be wrong id ask and see if it can be used

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: