Roofing Question

Old 11-01-06, 05:49 PM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Roofing Question

Hello,

I just had my roof replaced with architectural shingles and I realized that there is a piece of "flashing" or "lead" in between the corner area of my roof. I noticed it because the color is totally different from the shingles. I asked my roofer why he didn't put a piece of shingle over it and he said that the piece of lead is necessary and if he put a shingle over it, he can't guarantee that the roof would not have any leakage.

Can someone validate the above for me? Is it true that the corner area needs a "flashing" or a piece of "lead" and that it needs to be exposed without adding another piece of shingle over it? Is this the right way of doing it?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Old 11-01-06, 05:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
it's hard to imagine what you're describing without actually seeing it. There are often flashings that a top row of shingles is tucked under. Some roofers will leave the flashing exposed, while others will cover it up with a row of shingles, which will then have exposed nail heads which could leak. You can caulk the nail heads, but you have no control over how long that caulking will last, so many roofers prefer to play it safe and not put any holes in flashings for fear they may leak.

I'm sure your roofer is just trying to do the best job possible. He is concerned about leaks, you are probably more concerned about looks. If he's working for you, you're the boss, but if he's experienced, he probably knows what he's talking about.

Old 11-01-06, 06:15 PM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Roofing Question

Thanks for your input. I do have a picture but not sure how to attach it in this forum.

Old 11-01-06, 06:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
For pics, you can upload them to any file sharing website (like photobucket or yahoo) and then copy and post the URL link to the pics here.

Old 11-02-06, 02:03 PM
rUfUnKy
Visiting Guest
I agree with XSleeper, It is really preference weather or not to cover the flashing or leave it exposed. I usually cover the shingle but in some cases this is not possible due to the way that course of shingles lands.

If this is an area that could be covered and you really don't like the look you could always suggest that he use roof cement on the back of a shingle and adhere it to the flashing .

You are the paying customer so you should be happy with the work. Don't be afraid to talk to your contractor about your concerns to come up with a solution you are both happy with.

Good luck,
Steven

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: