new roofing

Old 11-05-06, 09:24 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question new roofing

I want to know if it is o.k. to paint the sheathing with exterior latex paint as each sheet is added. I am ready to add the sheathing to a new 20' x 30' shed. since I am working alone It will take some time to get all the sheets in place. I intend to paint the top of the sheets to prevent weathering until It is complete and i am ready to add the roofing felt. thanks for any help....Batteiger

Old 11-05-06, 09:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
Welcome to the forums

As a painter I see nothing wrong with painting the sheating although tar paper will offer more protection. It is also possible that painted plywood/osb might be a little slicker and harder to keep your footing on.

Old 11-05-06, 11:54 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you're using OSB, I would think it should weather fine for a couple of weeks until you're ready for the felt. Since this is a shed, the inteior should be fine to get a little wet, right?

I've never seen houses do anything to keep the weather out until they put on the house wrap. If it rains, it gets wet and they dries out.

With a shed, you shouldn't have to worry about it not drying out since I'm assuming the interior will be left open. I think it won't hurt, but will probably be a waste of your time. I've had bare OSB on both of my major remodels on my garage and it held up for weeks just fine through the spring rain.

Old 11-05-06, 12:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
I'd forget the painting and just cover whatever you've put on with felt. If you use plenty of cap nails, it won't blow off.

Old 11-05-06, 12:53 PM
rUfUnKy
Visiting Guest
I'm going to have to agree with the above posts. I work new construction jobs all the time and it is not uncommon to see houses sit a few months without siding or roofing. Obviously the sooner you can cover it the better.

FYI, I did four new construction roofs for a builder that got a good deal on some slightly used "sheathing" that was painted on one side. The first of those roofs the painted side was facing the weather and it was a nightmare trying to keep your footing so I would not recommend this. Needless to say the next three houses the painted side was faced down to prevent any accidents.

Good luck,
Steven

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: