I think he said "drip ledge."

Old 11-07-06, 03:57 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: fayetteville nc
Posts: 100
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile I think he said "drip ledge."

I think it's time for a new roof (leaks today). I mentioned it to a handyman a few months ago as he was backing down the driveway. He shouted "Be sure to get a 'drip ledge' when you get a new roof." I think he said drip ledge but I'm not sure. Anyway I think it's something roofers install near where the shingles meet the facia board to prevent water from trickling down the walls. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Appreciate any info ...
Old 11-07-06, 04:41 PM
XSleeper's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 27,010
Received 1,899 Upvotes on 1,705 Posts
Yes, it's called "drip edge". There are a couple different styles- some longer than others. Usually available in white, almond, brown, and galvanized. The drip edge is a metal flashing that sticks out about 1" past your fascia. Most roofers will use drip edge and then cut their shingles so that they stick out 1/2" - 1" past the drip edge so that the water will run off the end of the shingles too.

In my area, we also use what is known as gutter apron above the gutters. It has a longer downward bend than drip edge, and is better at keeping water from running behind your gutters along the eves.
Old 11-07-06, 05:26 PM
Ed Imeduc's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Mountain Williams Missouri
Posts: 17,505
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

Around here you can get the drip edge in plastic also . Like said any sheet metal shop can break up some. If what the big box stores have dont fit. Are cant do the job

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: