Extension Ladder

Old 11-20-06, 01:17 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Extension Ladder

Sorry if this isn't exactly on topic as far as this forum goes, but I thought the people on here would have the best idea. I need to do some repairs on my roof right near the gutters. I just bought a home and need to buy an extension ladder that reaches at minimum 18 feet. I am on a limited budget. What is the best value for a ladder out there? Where can I find this brand and model? (home depot, lowes, etc?) I really appreciate the help.

Old 11-20-06, 01:32 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
Most economical choice would be to borrow a neighbor's ladder. After that, buying from the big box store would probably be the cheapest. I like fiberglass, but aluminum is cheaper.

Old 11-20-06, 01:53 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
I prefer the werner brand of ladders, IMO they are the best built. All ladders are graded. Type III is for homeowner use [200 lbs max] While a type III is cheaper I would recomend you get at least a type II [225 lbs] A heavier ladder is also a sturdier ladder. I don't mind working on ladders but I detest one that wobbles Type IA is the strongest grade.

You say you need a minimum of 18' Have you figured in the lost height? Every ext ladder has to have 3' overlap when fully extended. There is also height lost from the angle set and possible grade variations. It is both easier to work off of and safer to have a ladder that will extend longer than you need.

Old 11-20-06, 02:00 PM
B
thanks for the help, i think i'm going to grab a 22' type II from lowes.

Old 11-20-06, 02:03 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
22" ladders can be hard to find. 20' & 24' are fairly standard. You should probably go with the 24'

Old 11-21-06, 03:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
You might also want to spring for some ladder standoff extensions. Leaning an extension ladder right against the gutter will sometimes scratch or crush the gutter.

I agree that the 24' Type II is a good choice for a homeowner.

Old 12-14-06, 11:36 AM
J
Have you gotten your ladder yet. I haven't been here in awhile but stopped by to peek in. I have an article on another site that compares little giant versus gorilla here little giant vs gorilla that may help. i prefer the gorilla due to the locking and angle device. i used one extensively as a scaffold and it was more stable than using the locking tabs to hold two pieces of the ladder together for a second frame. I have heard good things about the werner brand as well. I would have to agree with the one trhead reply that a heavier ladder may be mre combursome but it would be more steady when you go out and up high. I would also advise to get a good brace that goes out to the sides as well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: