roofing installation conditions concern

Old 12-05-06, 04:59 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I have about a three-year-old roof (still under warranty) that I have found to be leaking. All of my old roofing was removed (two layers I believe) and replaced due to hail damage. I have found water dripping down several nail tips protruding into the attic, and some roof boards totally wet over sections (currently a few inches of snow on the roof). The insulation and ceiling at my feet were pretty soaked over a few square feet area, and the ceiling damage as viewed from the main floor is what led me to the leak. I have not thoroughly inspected the rest of the roof from the attic yet.

I have always had concerns about the conditions under which my roof was installed. It was done in very cold weather, in fact while it was snowing (the snow had to be removed a few times with a blower in the middle of the job), maybe a day or two shy of Christmas if I recollect correctly. The shingles (asphalt) were half frozen and upon installation many of them lay beveled up, appearing as though they would never have a chance to seal themselves. They remain that way to this day. One representative of the installation company said this would correct itself over time and another said this a "normal" occurrence on some roofs. In light of my leak discovery, I am dubious of both explanations given the circumstances of installation and the way the roof still looks after approximately the first three years.

I need opinions on whether the circumstances of installation were acceptable and I should approach the leak as an isolated incident, or whether any more potential short or longer-term problems might be expected as a result of the circumstances of installation that I bring up. I thank you for your time.

Old 12-05-06, 07:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
Leaks don't usually appear because shingles were installed in snow or cold. If you have shingles that are badly wrinkled, that may be a problem... but then again, if you have no wrinkled shingles where this leak is occuring, then that's not part of the problem either, is it? Low pitch roofs are more prone to leak than steep roofs, especially from snow and ice, which causes water to back up underneath the shingles. Shingles that shed water (rain) may leak if ice dams form due to snow. Ice and water shield are usually installed on low slopes in areas where ice dams are a problem. Of course, that also can be an option that some contractors offer, and homeowners have to decide if they are willing to pay for it.

More than likely you have some other problem that you are unaware of, that goes back to the quality of the installation... typically, problems arise at several key locations on a roof: poorly installed open valleys, poorly flashed penetrations (can vents, pipe bibs, chimney flashings and/or counterflashings, wall terminations, dormer corners, etc). Some leaks can come from places that have nothing to do with your roofer... the chimney cap, for instance... or vinyl siding or windows that allow water to get behind the roof flashings. None of these would be the roofer's fault, nor would he be expected to repair things that have occurred since the roof was repaired. (If it was fine for 3 years, and now leaks, the question he would be asking is "what has changed in the last couple months that has caused a leak?")

You can certainly ask a professional roofer to help determine where the source of the leak is. Once you determine where it is coming from, then you can figure out what to do about it. But I wouldn't jump to any conclusions until then.

Old 12-05-06, 07:32 PM
I do not think your leak is a problem caused by installation. For your information: We roof all year long. 90 degrees to 20 degrees below zero. I put a 5 year warranty on my work. When working in cold weather you do what is called torching the shingles. Before the shingle is laid down, the bottom side is hit with a propane torch to soften the shingle. It is then laid down. Nice and flat, no curls etc. I agree with the previous reply that your water or leak is coming from somewhere else. My guess is that it is above where the nail is. The water runs down under the roof or whatever, and hits the nail and comes into the house. Just my thoughts. Good Luck

Old 12-06-06, 10:50 AM
K
Very interesting and helpful replies and I thank you. There was certainly no heat of any kind applied to the shingles when my roof was installed because I was here and watching all day, and many of the shingles across the roof remain very slightly "warped" after being on for close to three years now. Even though I just positively diagnosed the leak, I noted ceiling damage in the area probably more than a year ago already. Checking it out was the first thing I did and it was bone dry so I attributed it to an unrelated cause, but then again we had a drought here last year. There is nothing else I see around the area where a leak could be originating from, and I do feel at this point that something about the installation may be at least partially responsible. I just do not know whether this is isolated or could end up to be a widespresd problem. The last couple of days I may have heard water dripping from above at a totally different part of the house. I will check that out later today. Thanks again for the responses.

Old 12-06-06, 01:10 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

Take a lot of photos of any water. Helpful to have a camera with a date imprint. It will help to get a faster resolution.

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: