Roof Cleaning Questions

Old 12-18-06, 10:34 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Roof Cleaning Questions

My shingle roof has black streaks and there are areas where moss is growing. The roof is 15 years old. I've got several questions:

o I don't know whether the shingles are asphalt or fiberglass. Does it matter? If so, is there a way to tell the difference?

o Other than the appearance, is there any benefits derived from having the roof cleaned (for example, its longevity)?

o I've always been told that walking on the roof should be minimized since the shingles can be damaged. I assume that the benefits of cleaning the roof outweigh the risk of damage from walking on the roof. Is that correct?

o Has anyone had any particular good experience with any American Roof-Brite? I hesitate hiring someone who also does roof replacements to do the cleaning, since they will have a conflicting objective and may try to push roof replacement vs. just cleaing.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Old 12-18-06, 03:47 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You roof is asphalt. I am 99.99999 % sure, since 15 years ago, there were very few fiberglass shingles during that period of time. Also, your shingles of 15 years are on the downhill side.. Yes, its true, that the more you walk on a roof, the more damage you can do to it. Especially in warm weather. Cleaning your roof will not make it last longer. If I was going to have something put on my roof, I would call a roofer. They know roofs. They will not damage it to the point of replacement. Now saying that, I would only get a top roofer. Maybe a roofing company. Someone who is cheap will probably try to sell you a new roof. One time I had a house that had a 45 year old shingles on it. It was 20 years over due for new shingles. I called a roofing company to come and give me an estimate for new shingles. He came out and inspected the roof, and told me my roof was sealed good, with no bad spots other then the looks of the shingles, and told me to call him in 3 years. In 3 years I called him and he came and I had him put on a new roof.
He was very honest. We were too busy to do my own roof. So there you go.
Now you have decisions to make. Have a good day.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: