How to deal with cracking--gutters???

Old 12-30-06, 11:25 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to deal with cracking--gutters???

This past summer, we had contractors build an add-on room to our home. They turned out to be terrible--they never showed up, the roof had gaps, some of the windows aren't set level to the ground, and the list goes on. Now around two of the windows we have cracks in the wall extending diagonally out from diagonally opposite corners of the windows. We don't have gutters over those walls, and rain tends to run off over one concentrated spot on each wall. My husband thinks we can at least slow down the cracking and maybe correct it completely by installing gutters. I'm not convinced, because the workmanship was so poor in the first place. Any thoughts on if gutters will make a noticeable difference? If not gutters, then what?
Melissa

Old 12-30-06, 11:56 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Are you saying you have cracks on the interior or exterior? If your house does not have gutters, then you can have moisture issues. If windows were not properly framed and installed, you can have problems. If foundation or slab was not properly constructed, settlement can also cause problems.

Did you use licensed contractors? Did you get references? These are important things to consider before hiring a contractor.

Old 01-01-07, 09:13 PM
M
The cracks are interior, spreading diagonally from the windows. We know that at least 3 of the 4 windows were improperly installed. One of them is far enough off square that it's apparent just looking at it, without even using a level. This one is cracking badly; however, the one window that actually is set level also has cracks spreading from it.

Old 01-02-07, 06:17 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,900 Upvotes on 1,706 Posts
The cracks around the interior of the windows likely has to do with a combination of factors:

1). foundation settling

2). Poor framing and sheathing

3). Poor drywall hanging (with sheets ending at corners, instead of spanning the corners)

Gutters won't help a foundation that was improperly packed and poured.

Old 01-02-07, 04:00 PM
I have read your letter 4 times. You bring up alot of issues here about different things. However, it seems to me the diagional window cracks are really what you trying to tell us about. The first thing that pops into my mind is that the sheetrock was not hung correctly. They just hung it up each side and a piece on top, instead of a piece that surrounds the window.
I would try vinyl spackle on the cracks. Fill in the cracks, smooth it out and paint. The crack probably will not get any bigger. Once it is there, the cracking is usually over. I would also however listen to your husband and put up those gutters. Good Luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: