Skylight for roof access?

Old 01-12-07, 11:25 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Skylight for roof access?

My mobile has a patio cover surrounding it on all 4 sides - great for shade, but lousy for roof access and I have an evap cooler which needs maintanence.

We've tried moving sections of the patio cover off and on, but that seems to create more problems including cracking.

Most of the professionals have a huge ladder they prop up against the highest point and walk along the ridge line but that's not going to work for me since I don't have a ladder tall enough (20') and I really don't like climbing ladders that height. 10' is about my comfortable max.

So, I was thinking of installing a skylight in the kitchen (yup, wanted one anyway) and can that be opened to also allow EASY roof access?

I don't even know if skylights are possible in a MH?

Anyone?

Old 01-12-07, 11:52 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 821 Upvotes on 720 Posts
Welcome to the diy forums

What kind of roof does your MH have? Cutting a hole in a MH roof is no simple matter - extra framing will likely be required. Most skylights are designed to be installed between rafters but MH roof framing is light weight compared to a conventional house. Flashing to prevent leaks is also a major concern.

I know they make skylights that open but I don't know if they open far enough to allow someone to go in and out.

Old 01-22-07, 07:44 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
roof type

Thanks for replying. I've gotten great help on these forms before.

I have cathedral ceilings and an asphalt roof. The home is a double '92 Skyline. I also have full plans for it, incl. framing and electrical drawings. Your right, there isn't a lot of ceiling thickness. Fortunatley, I'm in AZ, so there isn't much weather either - it's sun 360 days/year.

Currently there is an evaporator on the roof, close to the marriage line and near the middle of the home. I've got multiple locations where I can put a skylight. Right now, I'm just looking into whether or not it a skylight might provide access to the roof and if it's do-able.

This is the first skylight I ran across on the web; I've emailed them, but haven't heard back.
http://www.skylightguys.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=19

The light needs a min of a 15 degree pitch. Since my roof is a pitch style roof, can I assume I've got that? Or how do I determine that?

Fortunatley, I'm not 'oversize'. I'll probably have to disconnect the rod they provide - but I didn't see a stop otherwise...?

My family thinks this idea is nuts, but it's not the first time. Is it?
How hard are skylights to install? Is it a DIY (all thumbs) or pro job?

Thanks again for any thoughts.

Old 01-23-07, 07:50 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 821 Upvotes on 720 Posts
Most of the newer MHs that have a pitched roof use a 3/12 pitch which that web site says is the same as 15 degree pitch.

I've only opened up or removed the ceilings on the older MHs that have a fairly flat roof so I don't know exactly how your roof is framed. If your roof rafters are on 2' centers it shouldn't be hard to install the skylight. The biggest problem with skylights is improper or lack of flashing to keep the rain out!! I've seen MHs with the immovable skylights but they are significantly lighter than the operational ones.

I still don't know for sure that you would have enough access thru the skylight to get to the roof. There is probably a rod or bracket that prevents the skylight from opening more than a certain amount. It may be removable.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: