condensation or real leaks???

Old 01-13-07, 06:03 PM
N
nan
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
condensation or real leaks???

I am new at this hope I am starting where I should.
Ok our house is about 30 years old, two story. upstairs the ceilling is t&g with no insulation. about 5 years ago (6 years after we bought it) we had a new shingle roof put on we had no problems with leaks it was just time to put a new roof on. any way about 3 years after new roof, it started to leak. the roofer came out and told us it was condensation from our skylight, we thought ok he must be right but it also leaked and seeped along the edge of one side and also on the other side of room away from the skylight.to make a long story short (too late) after about 3 wet weather seasons and numerous excuses from the contractor for the leaks it is getting worse. during our last heavy down pour there were 4 new leaks comming in as it was raining.
after calling the contractor and not hearing back from him we sent a letter to let him know we would have to solve this in court, quess what, he called as soon as he got that letter, but is still blaming it on condensation he says that is what will happen with the type of ceilling we have the hot air has no where to go.. but what I don't understand is that it had never leaked like that before the new roof and with the last down pour the water was coming in,but good.

any advise please
thanks!!!!

Old 01-14-07, 08:18 AM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I'm not much help but any way it needs to be fixed.

Old 01-14-07, 08:24 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
The leaking started three years after the contractor installed the roof? It is doubtful that you will get very far in court. If you have an older style skylight with aluminum frame and/or plastic bubble, these are more prone to condensation. Depending upon age of skylight seals could be failing and causing leaking. A quick resolution would be to simply replace the skylight with a newer, updated version.

Old 01-14-07, 08:25 AM
Nan: It quite possible that it may be a combination of each. I say this with caution, and here is why. You stated that it was about 3 years after the new roof before you had any leaks. I believe you, and that is why I do not think it is the roofing contractors fault. You obviously have a good contractor because he comes back when you call. Most will not even come back after one year. Now I also believe that he may be correct. Condensation can bring in alot of water into a home, and can appear like a leak. You said you had no insulation in your attic. There are several areas where condenstion is very likely. Skylights, eves where roof meets walls, roof vents, and the ends of shingle nails which come through the roof are suspect areas. You did not mention where you lived, but cold on the outside and warm on the inside makes condensation on the inside. I would probalby think about reducing the condensation. Maybe insulating your attic, adding gable fans, looking at your soffits etc. I was once called to inspect a leaking roof which the owners swore it was the contractors fault lots of leaks they said. I went up into their attic and they had 18 3lb coffee cans sitting around to catch water. I could see right away it was condensation. They did not want to admit it was their fault. The reason it did not drip before you got a new roof, was that the old roof was probably not sealed as well as the new roof. Very common. Now you did mention you had alot more after the last hard rain. When it was raining hard, did you go upstairs and check out very carefully where the water was coming from ? Maybe there is a leak around a vent or pipe or skylight. My bet is mostly from condensation. Good Luck

Old 01-14-07, 09:05 AM
N
nan
condensation or leak

Thank you all for the help
just a couple more things to add, after the job was finished and the contractor handed us the bill , "5 years: workmanship quarenteed"was written in, which later we thought was strange and also its just that on a "30" year roof one would expect it to last longer than 3,4,5 or even 10 years.
Thats just it we don't have an attic up stairs, and another thing is that if it is from a roofing nail wouldn't that be on the contractor?

on the skylight we did have a new one put in and it was seal correctly

also if we insulate, because the roof is really our cielling, in order not to lose too much head room (A frame type room) we would have just a few inches to put insulation and then sheetrock to finish it off, whats to say it would not keep leaking and soak the insulation we might never know it was still leaking until it soaked through the sheetrock ceilling.
yuck this so not fun
HELP

Old 01-14-07, 10:16 AM
Nan: Any roofer who would put a 5 year warranety on his work is good. I put a 4 year on all my roofs. Also a 30 year roof will last usually 25 to 35 years. Roofing nails usually always go through the sub roofing. If they don't, the shingles will usually blow off because the nails were not long enough. Have your shingles blown off ? Now you say that your roof is your ceiling in that area. I would now guess that it is definetly condensation. Heat rises, hits the cold underside of the roof and makes drops. You keep trying to blame the roofer, but I don't think it his fault. If it was, why did it not leak for the first 3 years. if it was his fault, it would have leaked right away. You could always do this. Call in another roofer. Have him look at the condensation problem from the inside. Just tell him you have a 5 year old roof. Don't tell him all your woes. You want to see what he will say without giving him any story. Definetly do not tell him who did your roof. They probably will know each other and will cover for each other. You could also call a home inspector and have him take a look. Just my thoughts.

Old 01-14-07, 10:31 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Condensation can be reduced by reducing humidity in the home. Warm, moist air rises. When it reaches a cold surface it condenses. Even with newer models of skylights there are reports of condensation when temperatures drop, especially when it's snowing or there is a cold rain.

Check the humidity levels inside your home. Also check what it is at the level of the skylight. Pick up a hygrometer (sold where thermometers are sold). Recommended humidity range is between 35-55% year round. When humidity is too high, dehumidifiers are recommended. Humidity levels can also be reduced by running kitchen vent fan unit (exhausted to outdoors preferred) during and after cooking to remove humidity. Bath vent/fan units should be run during bathing and afterwards for at least 20 minutes to exhaust excess humidity. Increasing air circulation in the area of the skylight with ceiling fans is helpful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: