New roof not laying flat

Old 01-23-07, 07:42 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New roof not laying flat

We had a roof installed after Hurricane Katrina. The roof has never looked like it is laying flat since the installation. When the sun shines on it late in the afternoon, it looks like the shigles are rolling. I don't know what may be causing this, but the old roof laid perfectly flat. Could it be the tar paper under the shigles was not smoothed out? The roofers have been slow to come out to see what the problem is and they just call it pop-ups. They came out and hammered a bunch of the shingles down, but it does not look much better. Any help will be appreciated, because I don't know anything about roofs, but I know this one does not look like the others replaced in our neighborhood.

Old 01-24-07, 05:51 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Roof

What type of shingles?

Old 01-24-07, 04:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,924 Upvotes on 1,728 Posts
The "rolling" you described sounds to me like felt (tar paper) that isn't laying flat. Some guys use #30 felt which has more of a tendency to curl like that because it is thicker and it will telegraph through the shingles.

In my stint working on roofs in Louisiana last year, the group I was with mandated #30 felt on all roofs, but we used 2 layers of #15 because #15 will lay down better.

Old 01-24-07, 07:46 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
shingles

The contract only says 25 year 3 tab. My best guess is that they are asphalt shingles. The edge of the roof seems to be curling on the south side of the house. Does this rolling of the felt (tar paper) cause a problem with the roof's performance over time?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: