Planning to pressure clean roof.

Old 01-28-07, 08:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Planning to pressure clean roof.

I just got back from HD's Tool Rental Center. The cost to rent a pressure washer is $63 for 8 hours. I expect to save $100 in sweat-equity by doing it myself. My concern is doing it safely and without damaging my tile.

I have a single-story home with barrel tile. The roof type is gable with 2 areas in the front which are hip.

- What is the right/safe way to step on barrel-tile?
- Do I need to use any additional concentrated cleaner or is the water pressure enough?
- What area do I start at? I was thinking of starting at the roof edges and working my way up to the peak, front to back.
- The pressure washer's cord is pretty short (25'-50'), so I'm sure I'll need to lift it on the roof with me. It is about 45 pounds and not exactly easy to carry as I go up the ladder. Suggestions?

Any other helpful tips would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Old 01-29-07, 04:58 AM
I'm far from being a roofer but please tie yourself off with a safety harness. It will surely be slick up there when it's wet.

Old 01-29-07, 05:29 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Likes on 631 Posts
It has been a long time since I've been on top of a tile roof but I do remember they can be quite slippery just for painting adjacent walls. With the water, cleaner and loosened dirt/mildew the roof WILL BE EXTRA SLIPPERY!!!

You always should start cleaning from the top working your way down. Angle the spray downward also to prevent water penetration behind/underneath the tiles.

Old 01-29-07, 06:57 AM
W
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts
Pressure washer

Use a longer hose for the wand so you can leave the washer on the ground.

Old 01-29-07, 06:10 PM
Thanks for the responses so far. I'm fairly certain it comes with a 50' hose so I'm hoping that will be long enough. How do I safely step on the tile though? Doesn't it matter?

Old 01-30-07, 05:49 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by sc0rpio View Post
How do I safely step on the tile though?

Very carefully!!! The center of the tile should be the strongest part. If possible stay off of the sides.

Old 01-30-07, 06:19 AM
W
http://www.nachi.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-562.html

if you check the link I provided ,they explain it ,actually the say not to if at all possible and to rent a boom truck --lol defeats your frugality

mabye scaffold ?

Old 01-30-07, 07:28 AM
Exclamation Reconsidering having it done by someone else

After reading that link, I feel as if I might do more damage than good. I don't have scaffolds to use, just a ladder.

We have had quite a few solicitors put ads in our mailbox to have it cleaned and I can haggle with them all to get the best price. If I go this route, how do I choose the best one for the job? Here's what I intend to do:

- Make sure they are licensed & insured (will ask for their license # to confirm they are in good standing)
- Take pictures of the roof before the work is done to protect myself if they break tiles.
- Check BBB website for any complaints
- Ask them for references (specifically, houses in my neighborhood that they have done).
- Ask them if they will be using a boom truck or not.

Any other suggestions?

Old 01-30-07, 07:33 AM
S
$100 savings vs. replacing a roof tile

What is the cost of replace a roof tile? I would suspect it is well over $100 savings you anticipate given travel costs to and from a work site and all that is involved in removing and replacing a damaged tile.

I would leave the cleaning to a professional licensed and insured company that would be liable for any damage. I bet they use a boom to avoid any potential damage and never set foot on the roof surface.

If you aren't satified with the cleaning job, you have some leverage by withholding payment until it is done to your satisfaction.

Being an avid DIY'er (much to my wife's displeasure), I personally hate to have others perform most household repairs/chores, but sometimes it is better to pass the torch onto somebody else. In this case, I believe it would be best to pass the pressure washer wand to a pro.

Old 01-30-07, 11:54 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by sc0rpio View Post
Here's what I intend to do:- Make sure they are licensed & insured (will ask for their license # to confirm they are in good standing)
Of the 2, the insurance is the most important! You can be licensed and not insured, I'm not sure if you can insure a business without being licensed.

It would be nice to talk/see references from similiar jobs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: