Plywood over Shiplap

Old 02-10-07, 11:44 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Plywood over Shiplap

I have a roof in need of replacement. The contractor is telling me that my existing shiplap sheeting needs to have plywood put over it to prevent the 3 tab asphalt from cupping due to expansion/contraction of the shiplap. To be clear, this is in the Seattle area, 1957 built, the sheeting is NOT rotten, and the nailing surface if flat (this shiplap has a 1/2" tongue/tongue overlap and leaves no grooves).

I was hoping to just go over the single layer of exisiting asphalt 3 tab, but he's saying no way, so it goes from 4 grand to 10 grand.

Is he correct?

Old 02-10-07, 04:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,921 Upvotes on 1,725 Posts
You should be able to find a roofer who will put on a 2nd layer (provided the first layer is still laying flat).

As far as the additional sheathing is concerned, if the shiplap is just as you have described, with no gaps between planks, then additional plywood is probably not needed.

Old 02-12-07, 08:05 AM
I would suggest getting another roofing estimate (you should do that anyway) and see if they insist on new decking.

Old 02-17-07, 01:46 PM
R
Follow up

Talked to a guy today, he's coming out to look, but thinks a layer of felt and a good laminate over the top of the single layer of existing will work just fine, for 3 grand instead of 10.

Thnx for your input

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: