Soffit Material

Old 02-12-07, 09:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Soffit Material

Hello Everyone,

I am going to be doing some soffit work this spring and would like a bit of help. I currently have beadboard tongue and groove that needs to be replaced in some large areas. I was hoping that I could use 4 x 8, beadboard, MDF. Has anyone tried this and are there any reasons that it would not work?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-07, 09:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 244 Votes on 225 Posts
Since you mentioned that your current soffit is in need of repair, I imagine that perhaps it's due to years of water damage? I ask because, MDF is never a good material for exterior applications because it does not fare well if it gets wet. If there is a drip edge (such as an overhanging fascia board) and you can ensure that the soffit will never get wet due to ice dams or roof leaks, then it might be okay... since soffits are usually out of the elements except for the occasional leak. Just forewarning you.

Old 02-13-07, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the advice XSleeper, I was thinking that the answer would be no, but I just wanted to see if anyone had ever tried. You were correct, there is water damage, the flashing around the chimnney has gotten loose and is allowing water to leak into the soffit below. Do you have any wood that you suggest for the replacement?

Old 02-13-07, 10:20 PM
I don't know if it's available in your part of the country,but there is a fairly rigid beaded vinyl soffit panel that i have used on overhang's & porches.

Do a search for Royal or Gentek Building Products & see if you can track it down....Highly reccommended & rot free unlike MDF or wood generally.