Mobile home roof problems

Old 02-14-07, 05:55 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Mobile home roof problems

We live in a 1986 MH.
There seem to be 2-3 trusses broken or sagging in the living room. The ceiling is sagging and when i look at the roof from the side you can see it's not as high/ same shape as the rest of the roof.

Is it possible to "jack up" the ceiling from the inside - cut the metal roof off in that area - replace the trusses and put a new piece of metal roof on ?
This was my idea how it could be fixed - does this seem possible or are there any other options ?

How much would it cost to have this done ? I do a lot of DIY projects but this seems a bit too complicated for me. I wouldn't even know where to find the correct trusses.

Old 02-15-07, 07:30 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 821 Upvotes on 720 Posts
Is this a single wide with a 3/12 pitch roof?

I've never opened up one of the newer MHs with the 3/12 pitch but the older MHs with the flat [crown] roofs the trusses are just made out of 1x2's with scrap paneling for gussets. I doubt you could buy a replacement truss and if you could it would be mighty difficult to remove and install - repairing would be a better option.

I'd be leary of opening up the roof from the top unless you plan to roof over the existing roof. You should be able to repair it from inside but that does mean tearing out [and replacing] the ceiling in the affected area. You would attach a 1x to the broken truss after propping it up to the correct height/position.

It woud be next to impossible to give a price site unseen plus labor prices vary greatly in different locations.

Old 02-16-07, 10:52 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Well i am not familiar with a lot of the terms used in roofing over here as you can probably tell from my user name.
I tried to make a quick sketch of what the trusses look like. It might not be 100% acurate as i only had a quick look at them when i painted the exterior of the trailer last summer and looked into the vent that are on both ends of the roof.
The "collapsed" truss sketch is just a guess because its pretty much in the middle of the roof (70 long) and i couldn't see that far in.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y46/Sarkast/Trusses.jpg

The reason why i suggested to repair it from the top is that our ceiling is made of "huge" sheets of ???. They are 4feet wide and span the entire width of the trailer. I don't see how i could take it down - it also seems to sit on top of the walls (doesn't end at the wall).
If the ceilings weren't so low already i'd just jack the ceiling up and install a "support ceiling" underneith - but they aren't even 7 feet so there is no room to work with.

Anyone have an idea what the strongest but thinnest material could span 16 feet without sagging (much) ? Would a 1x1 or 1.5x1.5 square steel bar sag ?

Old 02-16-07, 01:10 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 821 Upvotes on 720 Posts
I'm still trying to determine what type of roof you have. A 3/12 pitch roof has 2 sides that are flat [except for all the waves] and they angle upward and meet in the middle. I think that is what you have going by the year -1986

The other type is raised less than 12" in the middle and the entire roof has an arc shape.

Does your ceiling have the little buttons w/screws that hold up the ceiling?
MHs are built assembly line style - flooring goes down before walls go up. When You replace flooring [or the ceiling] you cut the material next to the wall and leave the little bit under/over the studs.

The only thing that would worry me about cutting the roof and repairing from above is recovering and SEALING the roof. Right now your roof is one single piece of tin [except for vents] I would think that it would be difficult to either find metal large enough to cover the hole and seal it well to prevent leaks. A new roof over the entire MH would solve this problem but at a greater expense.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: