Mobile Home Roof Leaks/Repairs

Old 02-16-07, 03:32 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mobile Home Roof Leaks/Repairs

I have a 1981 Marlette with the curved metal roof. I am currently in a mobile home park and cannot put an entirely new roof on until I move the house to a permanent location. I am having severe ice daming and leaks this winter and am planning on using KoolSeal Elastomeric Roof Coating next this summer to repair the roof until I move the house. Can I use Heat Tapes over this coating to prevent Ice Dams next winter? If not is there another coating I can use heat tapes over once the coating is applied.

I live in Anchorage, AK, and have to shovel the roof every time we get more than 2 inches of snow, and currently have 4 leaks I am keeping an eye on. The Mobile Home Roof Problem thread informed me about the makeup of my roof above the ceiling panels, and I will be digging around up there once it warms up.

Old 02-16-07, 04:46 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 360 Votes on 317 Posts
Welcome to the forums John

While heat tape is insulated I don't think it is rated for wet locations - which you would have with it plugged in under snow/ice.

Old 02-16-07, 07:35 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
OK,

I was thinking of getting the tapes marketed for regular roofs and just plugging it in when it started to snow and leave it on until the snow stopped and the water/runoff stopped draining from the roof.

Thank you.

Old 02-17-07, 07:33 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 360 Votes on 317 Posts
Oh I was thinking of the heat tape for water pipes, I don't know anything about heat tape for roofs. You might check with HT manufacture.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: