Roof ideas?

Old 02-20-07, 11:00 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Roof ideas?

I have a mobile home in Florida I only use for a few months a year. It is a 1972 12 X 56. It is very hard to cool down in the summer and needs a new roof. I was wondering if there are any options to solve these issues, short of a roof over. I have looked at the Peel n' Stick stuff, but it would not have any insulation effect. Could I somehow put a few inches of rigid insulation under the Pell n' Stick?

Old 02-20-07, 01:11 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
I have no knowledge of the peel and stick roofing

I don't know that there is any good fix for insulating the roof short of a roof over. A roof that is constructed so it provides attic ventilation is the most effective.

Products like kool seal are effective in reflecting heat but won't significantly make the MH cooler in the fla sun.

Old 02-20-07, 05:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
A manufactured housing repair contractor can install rigid foam panels over the trailer to 2 inches thick. Then lay white rubber roofing over this. Done in a matter of hours. If here in my part of Wisconsin, you would be looking at about $2500 or so, if the deal was not on sale. The rigid foam board provides the insulation factor and the white helps deflect heat as well. They have a 10-20 year guarantee on this roof system.

If you only have 3 1/2 inch walls, and lots of windows, you will still get heat infiltration this way. But the roof should significantly cut down on the heat gain, especially if under your current situation you do not have shade trees over your roof.

If you have a/c of any sort, with that troof system, yo should see a much kleser energy bill. You may call up such a contractor about this roof-over system and see what claims they make (if any claims) on reduced bills.

Old 02-21-07, 07:06 AM
D
Originally Posted by DaVeBoy
A manufactured housing repair contractor can install rigid foam panels over the trailer to 2 inches thick. Then lay white rubber roofing over this. Done in a matter of hours. If here in my part of Wisconsin, you would be looking at about $2500 or so, if the deal was not on sale. The rigid foam board provides the insulation factor and the white helps deflect heat as well. They have a 10-20 year guarantee on this roof system.

If you only have 3 1/2 inch walls, and lots of windows, you will still get heat infiltration this way. But the roof should significantly cut down on the heat gain, especially if under your current situation you do not have shade trees over your roof.

If you have a/c of any sort, with that troof system, yo should see a much kleser energy bill. You may call up such a contractor about this roof-over system and see what claims they make (if any claims) on reduced bills.
Thanks for the info. How is the rigid foam attached to the roof? A roof over seems to be the preferred method in Florida. I have not attempted to get estimates, but I figure it will be about $2500-3000 for a roof over. I know the DIY Peel n' Stick would be about $1000. I was thinking if I could attach about 4 inches of rigid insulation to the existing roof, then I could apply the Peel n' Stick over that and wrap it around the edges to attach to the trim along the top of the exterior walls.

Old 02-21-07, 05:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Read:

Give them a call.

Or find someone local that supplies this.
http://www.mobilehomeadvantage.com/sku.cfm/sub_cat_id/122/ID/24/

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: