Flat roof installation?

Old 03-01-07, 04:31 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Flat roof installation?

Hello,

I have leaking old flat roof (600 sq/ft) that I got quoted for a new replacement at 4k. I think I could do it myself. I'm pretty handy myself but does not know much about the materials/tools/types of roof out there. currently I am looking into EPDM, which seemed to be the easy installation for me.

does anyone have any video on how to install a new flat roof? or any suggestiong on what is my best option? EPDM or underlayer with standard sheeted tar?

Thanks

Old 03-01-07, 08:00 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink Flat roof

I am an RCI registered roof consultant and know a great deal about this subject.

What I say here is not to insult your intelligence, it is merely in the spirit of passing on knowledge. Hopefully, it is taken in the spirit it is given.

Tar, in commercial roof lingo is Coal Tar, a derivative of the destructive distillation of coal. You are probably referring to Asphalt, which is the bitumen predominantly used in built up roofing today.

You can definitely install an EPDM roof, as long as you install it according to the manufacturers written installation instructions. I would not try any other product, considering your current level of knowledge.

You should do the following:

1. Get some slope in the roof, at least 1/4 inch per foot. This is important, no matter who tells you it isn't. If there is no way to do so, put in a roof drain and strip in all seams. Ponding on the roof is a breeding ground for mosquitoes, mold, and all kinds of gunk, not to mention structural load. Water weighs 5.5 lbs per square foot per inch. 600 x 5.5 = a car on your roof.

2. Remove the old roof system down to the structural deck and replace any bad decking.

3. Install wood blocking at the perimeter equal to the thickness of your insulation layers on three sides, a little less at the drip edge to enhance drainage.

4. Install thermal insulation, and a cover board. At least 1.5 inches of isocyanurate foam, followed by a layer of Dens deck. Dens Deck is a gypsum based product.

5. Install roof deck screws and plates at the rate of one fastener and plate per two square feet of roof area. Plates must be designed for use with hard surface like dens deck.

6. install Fully adhered .060 unreinforced EPDM membrane according to mfgrs specs.

Do a Google search for Firestone building products and download their details and specs and read them.

You already saved a bundle by getting this info for free

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: