tips and tricks for forming crickets and flashing

Old 03-06-07, 11:42 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
tips and tricks for forming crickets and flashing

I have a project lined up for spring that will involve re-flashing a chimney. The chimney is for a fireplace and is fabbed from sheetmetal, which is mounted to the roof deck and surrounds the flue pipe. I would like to form a cricket that will divert water around the chimney and accept counterflashing that will be mounted to the existing sheetmetal chimney. Any advice on how to form this sheetmetal piece? My plan is to build a plywood buck and hammer, dolly, bend and coerce the metal to shape.

Also, any recommendations on how to attach new flashing to this chimney so as not to trap moisture ./ condensate between sheetmetal layers? I thought I could apply Weatherguard to the original sheetmetal to provide a barrier between the layers.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-07, 12:50 PM
W
Received 20 Votes on 19 Posts
Cricket

A. Draw layout lines on the chimney where the cricket attaches to the chimney.
B. Find the point on the roof where the point of the cricket meets the roof and mark with an "x".
C. The top of the cricket will be two triangles.
D. Take a measurement from the "x" on the roof to the apex of the layout lines on the chimney. This will be the length of the ridge of the cricket.
E. Measure the sloped layout lines on the chimney.
F. Measure from the bottom ends of the layout lines on the chimney along the roof to the "x".
G.Transfer these measurements to your flat metal stock material.
H. Add any attaching flanges,etc, cut and bend along the cricket ridge.

I apologize if this is too much detail. Good luck with your project.

Last edited by Wirepuller38; 03-06-07 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Inserted missing word.
Old 03-07-07, 11:47 AM
R
very clear explanation - thanks. However, this will require bend relief at the chimney side of the flashing. Won't this leave two seams and a gap that will need to be sealed with roofing cement? I was hoping to find a way to form the piece without any cuts that could eventually leak.

Old 03-07-07, 12:00 PM
W
Received 20 Votes on 19 Posts
Seal

You will have to form a watertight seal between the cricket and the chimney, otherwise the cricket is useless.

Old 03-07-07, 12:17 PM
Wink

One of the old tricks for this Is get a piece of 15lb felt paper and lay it down on the cricket and cut it up for a pattern. On that V open cut you will have there you have to bend up a V that fits it with small slips on each side of it.
This will be at the valley end and the chimney also
Slip it in and solder it. At the chimney you need a turn up about 4" Id make a counter flashing to go over it and screw that to the chimney dope it in. That way the chimney can move some over the cricket.