Felt under shingles - to the peak??

Old 03-10-07, 01:21 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Felt under shingles - to the peak??

My new house in being roofed as we speak. I watched them shingling the front, and the last 2 courses to the peak do not have 'tar paper' or felt under them. The shingles are laid directly on the plywood. Is this proper?? I took a photo that I can email to show what I mean.

Old 03-11-07, 08:26 AM
D
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
You can post a link here to your photo if need be so others can benefit.

BTW: Welcome to the DoItYourself.com forums

Old 03-11-07, 08:49 AM
E
I opened a Pbotobucket account. If this doesn't work, let me know!

http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w190/esbaylus/?action=view&current=IMG_0280.jpg

Old 03-11-07, 10:10 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

It looks cold there . Do you get snow???? Most homes now have what is called ice shield put on under the shingles on the over hang of the home so you dont get leaks from ice dams in the winter Then check code there . In FL it calls for a 30lb felt paper under all the shingles . As I said check code there . Then go get their 'BUT's

Last edited by Ed Imeduc; 03-11-07 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-11-07, 10:31 AM
Your roofers need to be stopped right on the spot. Call you building inspector and show this picture to the contractor. Several things not to code here no matter where you live. First of all yes, you need to paper the whole roof. This is just laziness. Second of all the tar paper or felt needs to overlap 6" to 8" on the layer of felt below it. I would make them tear off the whole roof and do it over with new shingles. They will try to use the old ones. Don't let this get by you. They will try to give you some BS but do not fall for it. I can tell that those guys on the roof are not roofers. They are just nailing down shingles. What more can I say. Get on it tomorrow morning. Good Luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: