Leak originating in hairline crack in ceiling

Old 03-10-07, 02:42 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Leak originating in hairline crack in ceiling

It's our first relatively warm day here in Western NY, and the significant amount of snow and ice on my roof is melting. Above the back door of my house, there are a few hairline cracks in the ceiling, and water is slowly leaking out of one of them. Here are some photos:

Top of the door:
http://www.smarterdesigns.com/temp/leak1.jpg

Close-up of the leak:
http://www.smarterdesigns.com/temp/leak2.jpg

I've cleared the snow off the roof in the area, but I'm not sure what else I can do. Is this damaging my ceiling? Does this mean there's a problem with my roof, or is this just normal when a lot of snow/ice melts at once?

Thanks.

Old 03-10-07, 03:40 PM
nap
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I didn;t look at the pics but is sounds as you have ice dams and the melting water is backing up under the shingles and passing through the roof and down through the ceiling.

The way to prevent this is to prevent the ice damming on the roof. This is done by proper insulation above the ceiling, properly vented attic space and good roofing including a membrane barrier in the first three feet or so of roof.

gutter ice melt cables ,which are fairly expensive, will also help. They allow a path for the water to flow off the roof rather than being kept up by the ice.

If you have water intrusion, the insulation in the attic is assuredly getting wet and needs to be addressed sometime after all the ice has melted off the roof. The water may have run into the wall as well and can cause a problem there too.

Old 03-10-07, 04:51 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks nap!

I cleared all the ice away from the gutters and immediately two things happened: a) water started gushing through the gutters and b) I felt pretty stupid for not trying that first. Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: