Roofing Question

Old 03-10-07, 09:47 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Roofing Question

I would like to know if Peel & Seal roofing is a good product to use on a sloped metal mobile home roof?

Thank you!
Ranger02

Old 03-10-07, 09:59 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

I think you would be better off with the brush on sealer that they use on the trailers

Old 03-11-07, 05:25 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 821 Upvotes on 720 Posts
Welcome to the diy forums!

I don't know anything about the 'peel and stick' roofing The fibered aluminum coating or the latex elastromeric roof coatings are the most commonly used directly over the metal. The fibered aluminum can be applied over rust while the elastromeric needs a rust free surface.

While a lot more expensive, a roof over is always the best choice as it allows you to add insulation.

You might try contacting the manufacture of the peel & seal and see what they say. It would need to be able to withstand the movement a MH metal roof experiences.

Old 03-11-07, 09:13 AM
nap
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
the only "peel and stick" roofing material I know of would be the elastomeric membrane one would install UNDER shingles and usually applied the first 2-4 feet near the eave.

If you have leads on another product, give us a link so we all know what you are talking about. Maybe the wave of the future.

Old 03-11-07, 01:01 PM
R
Roofing Question

nap,Do a search for mfm building products. In there you can click on Peel & Seal. The product has a foil face to reflect sun and I believe a rubber/asphalt backing and is self adhesive to the roof surface.

The company states that one of its uses is for mobile homes and that it has a 10 year guarantee.

Thanks for your help!
Ranger02

Old 03-11-07, 03:09 PM
nap
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
sounds like a neat product.

I would be concerned with the specifics of the mechanical attachment at the perimeter of the roof. I didn;t hunt that part down too much.

I also would be concerned with the walkablity of the roof in varying temp extremes.

I don;t care for the lap seam situation since it relies solely on adhesive for retention but I have seen memebrane roofs that have held up quite well, including patches and/or cut in areas such as sewer vents and furnace vents.

I would look for some recommendation from a national roofing council or whatever entity may approve or recommend such products.

Have you checked on any pricing yet?

Old 03-11-07, 06:47 PM
R
Roofing Question

nap, It comes in several widths and the prices seem to vary. One quote I got was 137.00 per 36"x 33 1/2' roll.

The only rating I did read somewhere was a energy efficient rating due to the foil top layer.

Ranger02

Old 03-18-07, 02:52 PM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
yup saw my neighbor down the road a couple of summers ago applybing something that sounds exactly like that. He called me a few weeks back said he did not know what the heck to do. It seems that part of the new roofing had peeled off under a recent storm with high winds and it had wrapped around his Electrical feed from the road. He wound up getting the electric company to come out and shut down power while he unwound the materials from the line he then proceeded to peel all the stuff off and place it in a trash bags destined for the local dump. I saw him yesterday with some 5 gallon buckets and a big brush he appeared to be applying the regular roof coating material, I will report back in a few years as to how that works out yall remind me ok?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: