Roof and Eaves Rotting!

Old 03-17-07, 11:18 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Roof and Eaves Rotting!

I had a shake roof. I needed a new roof, and switched to composition.

They put on plywood and then put composition on it. I also have rain gutters. Over the last 5 or so years the bottom 12" or so of the plywood closest to the gutters has begun to rot. Sometimes a small mushroom begins to grow!!
Some of the eaves have rotted too.

Is this what happens with this kind of install? I haven't talked with anyone yet, but from what I can tell the bottom 12 - 24" of all the plywood around the house where the roof slopes to gutters needs to be cut off and replaced. And, the same goes for the bad eaves.

What do I need to make sure the next roofing company does that the first one didn't to make sure that the rot doesn't occur on the next roof?

What kind of fix is needed?

Thanks for any info.

Old 03-18-07, 12:02 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Hard to say when you cant see it. Could be no metal drip edge on the roof. Do you have lots of ice dams???? could need ice shield on the new roof . Make sure the gutters are right and drain right. A Shake Shingle roof is just not the best way to go. I have learned.

Get 3 bids for the job.

Old 03-18-07, 12:58 PM
W
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Roof and Eaves Rotting

Hi,

I can say for sure I don't have any ice dam problem. But, I do notice that there is nothing that looks like a metal drip edge. I noticed that on the parts of the roof that slope up to a peak there is a piece of 90 degree metal that covers the outside edge. But, there isn't any of this where the gutters are. Looks like maybe some water seeps under the gutter and gets into the plywood where it isn't covered by any of the metal that you call a metal drip shield.

Sounds like whoever I get bids from should have some options and ways for making sure this doesn't happen again.

Old 03-18-07, 01:38 PM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Roof

The edge of the roof next to the gutter should have drip edge under the first row of shingles and lapping to the inside of the gutter so that water cannot get behind the gutter and into the soffit area. If you have long gutter runs and the gutter drops below the drip edge, then a wider flashing needs to go behind the drip edge and to the inside of the gutter.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: