Need new roof!

Old 03-25-07, 04:33 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Arrow Need new roof!

I need to replace the roof on the trailer I was givin. It's a 76 model and so far we've replaced a lot of the tricky things. Now we are working towards the roof. And in my opinion there really isn't much to it right now... Don't want to start from scratch but would like the best cheap quick fix. Anything will help. Thanks!!!

Old 03-25-07, 04:51 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

If this is a live in trailer. It will pay you to build a wood roof over it with shingles and put insulation in that.

Old 03-25-07, 05:09 PM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Talking websites

Can you suggest any websites I might look at to help me do this. Should I have the wood part (tress' I believe) premade or do it my self. I feel kind of in the dark on where to start and how to go about getting everything ready to go.. Thanks!

Old 03-29-07, 02:56 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 840 Upvotes on 737 Posts
I think a 76 still had the flat [crown] roof so you can either use pre made truss's [If you use truss's you will need to raise and support the roof framing on each side of the MH] Or you can build a 'stick' built roof framing and attach it directly to the MH.

The roof needs to have adequate support. If you stick build you need to build a knee wall across the middle length of the MH roof and attach rafters to it and the sides of the MH. If you use a truss system you will need to raise the outside long walls so the truss can span the roof. Often it is easier to use 4x4 posts to support headers for the truss to set on [attach to]

Your current roof is likely supported by a truss system made out of 1x2's and paneling - not real strong - so care should be taken when working or attaching anything to the MH roof.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: