Roof Over dilema ?

Old 03-27-07, 06:20 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Roof Over dilema ?

This is our 2nd MH. My original plan to install concrete footers 4' deep (depth required by code) down each side of my 12 x 60 MH for my roof over has to be scrapped. Our MH park has connected to town water and town sewerage (which is great!). You guessed it...the water supply enters down one side of the MH and the sewerage exits down the opposite side. So much for my footings. Inspector has issued my permit to build roof over on my interior 2 x 4 walls. Knee wall 2 x 6 on the perimeter of roof, rafters and collar ties 2 x 6, ridge beam 2 x 8, 1/2" OSB for the sheathing and ice shield and finally metal roofing. The pitch or slope will be faily slight, only 30" higher at the ridge from the knee wall height which is 12". Here is my dilema: When I put the ladder up to double check measurements, I realized that under the rubber roof is a type of corrugated material about 4" thick. Can I construct my knee wall atop this material or will it have to be removed. The present rubber roof does not leak at all. I just want to do this project because I want a gable roof for appearance. Only 4 of us left in the park have the flat rubber roofs. This older MH is a complete doll house since I have carefully updated all the electric, appliances, new kitchen, new bath, new windows. My new windows even already have the built in J-channels to incorporate the new siding after my roof is put on. It's paid for...It's mine...and it's HOME. Just need my gable roof now. THANKS SO MUCH! Doing all of this work myself with a friend.

Last edited by Bernard_01; 03-27-07 at 07:41 AM. Reason: more info.
Old 03-29-07, 03:27 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 824 Upvotes on 722 Posts
Most of the older {if not all] MHs with the flat/slight crown roofs just have a metal skin stretched over the framing. I assume your MH had the rubber roof added at some point, probably with insulation added underneath.

I doubt you could securely attach the new framing directly to the rubber roof. You might check with some of your neighbors and see how they reroofed, if they also had the rubber roof.

I wouldn't think that plumbing would keep you from pouring a footer. Usually you can route necessarry plumbing thru a chase as long as there is sufficent concrete reinforced with rebar.

Old 03-29-07, 05:08 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
My original plan was to pour the footings and re-route or as you say reinforce the concrete and make a conduit for the plumbing. Our park owner has said no to this, even though I was accepting all responsibility for the copper and pvc. I did speak to a neighbor who suggested that I remove the rubber roof and insulation that is under the rubber membrane, then build stick type over the original sheet metal roof. That would at least allow me ( I think) to have access to nail into the top plates of the exterior walls. Obviously the rubber was installed for a reason (leaks I assume) years ago. My truss system at present is the 1x2 with paneling factory made at time the MH was built. If I elect to just keep this crown rubber roof; does the rubber require any routine maintenance that you know of? Being new to MH's I feel like I did an awful lot of interior work first when I should have waited until I got the roof I wanted. But being in the northeast, All the interior work was a winter project. THANK YOU FOR ANY INPUT.

Old 03-29-07, 05:51 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 824 Upvotes on 722 Posts
I'm not familiar with the rubber roof set up. In the south either a complete roof over or an insulation covered with aluminum is used. Maybe if you google rubber roofs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: