Remediate Neighbors Gutters

Old 04-01-07, 09:55 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Remediate Neighbors Gutters

The neighbor's clogged gutters directed water against my house foundation and also into my crawl space, which I discovered after I had mold above the crawl space and water in the basement. The neighbor illegally built up to the property line, and there is less than 5 feet from her gutter to my wall.

1. How much water does it take to damage a foundation?
2. What would be the minimum amount of time it would take to damage the foundation in periods of heavy rain?
3. Would a french drain under the neighbor's gutter prevent further damage? What is the typical cost per foot?
4. Would a waterproofing company installing drains in the basement totally solve the problem? Would a french drain also be suggested in addition?

Thank you in advance!

Old 04-01-07, 07:27 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The first few questions sound like you are gearing up for a lawsuit. You should consult an attorney if this is the case and the attorney would probably line up the experts for hire that would tell you what you want to hear. The answer to the real problem - keeping the water out of your basement - is a little simpler. If it is really coming from the neighbors gutter (the leader actually) the water flow needs to be redirected. Raising the lowest elbow on the leader and installing a hose that leads the flow to a place where gravity will take it away from your house is the first step. If the neighbor is reluctant to do anything, a call to your local building department or code enforcer might do the trick. Many places have building codes regarding the drainage from a property

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: