Box Gutter question

Old 04-02-07, 11:17 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Box Gutter question

I have what I think are called Box gutters or maybe Boston Gutters on my house. 2 feet at the edge of the roof is flat and there are drains that go through the roof and come out of the soffit. From there the water goes into the gutter system. I am looking for the part that goes through the roof and out off the soffit. Does anyone know were I can find such a thing on the internet? Thanks Tim

Old 04-02-07, 07:38 PM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The downspout that runs through the soffit is connected to the drop portion of the box gutter. It shouldn't be screwed to it. If it is just twist it back and forth until it comes off.

The easiest thing to do is replace the entire 10 foot upper section of downpipe. I guess it is round or corrugated round pipe. You can go to a heating supply store which sells galvinized products and duckwork.

You will have to acid wash the pipe with vinegar, let dry and then wipe off with a clean cloth. Use spray paint primer and then a couple coats of metal rustolium spray paint. One more thing you can cut the pipe with na hack saw.

Old 04-03-07, 05:06 AM
T
Thanks for the reply primereef. Hmmm I never thought of using duct work for the drop protion of the box gutter. Last summer I had the roof done aand they replaced only 1 of the drops. Ice build up this past winter pulled the drop through the roof and pull down part of the soffit also. Sorry I may be using the wrong carpentry terms in my descriptions. Thanks Tim

Old 04-03-07, 12:27 PM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I am not saying to use duct work. What I was saying though, was that the supplier who supplies duct work will most likely supply the downspout used for guttering. They are a completly different animal. You will want to check for 3" or 4" pipe though. If you were in my area I could give you the local supplier. If you don't have any local luck we can do a search to find a supplier.

Old 04-03-07, 01:53 PM
T
Thanks for the clarification Primereef. I do a little looking around here this weekend.

Old 04-03-07, 02:07 PM
Wink

Check with any small sheetmetal shop around you there. They make them all the time . Or what every you need to fix the down spout header or the downspout.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: