Weatherlock Underlayment

Old 04-02-07, 04:09 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Weatherlock Underlayment

Has anyone had any experience with the Weatherlock G product from Owens Corning? I have a roofing contractor that states they have been installing this product for years and that they always install the product on top of the roofing/felt paper. This seems to be improper according to the manufacturer. I'm curious if anyone has seen this product before.

Old 04-02-07, 08:02 PM
P
Originally Posted by MrDuren
Has anyone had any experience with the Weatherlock G product from Owens Corning? I have a roofing contractor that states they have been installing this product for years and that they always install the product on top of the roofing/felt paper. This seems to be improper according to the manufacturer. I'm curious if anyone has seen this product before.
First of all, it goes on top of the plywood THEN the felt goes on top of it. Don't forget to peel the backing off as it is a sticky product. Make sure it is straight. Depending on your area you may only need it on the first bottom row.

Here is a link to help facilitate your project:

http://www.owenscorning.com/around/roofing/pdfs/2119_WL_Insta.Instruct-2.qx.pdf

Old 04-03-07, 09:30 AM
M
Codes and Complexities

Thank you for your response. The installation instructions for this product are very direct and specific. My problem now is that it seems some local codes in the state of Florida require this product to be installed over felt. It is all very confusing and NO ONE can give me a straight answer. If you have a minute to read the plethera of different answers on this issue, I have stated the different answers that I'm getting from different people that should be in the know. The items below show each source and what they have said about the installation of the product:

1. Instructions: Install on Deck

2. Builder (first response): Install over felt

3. Manufacturer Corporate (first response): Install on Deck. Risk voided warranty if installed improperly

4. Builder (second response): We will confirm with our local rep that we have special permission from manufacturer to install on paper.

5. Manufacturer Corporate (second response): Install on Deck. Risk voided warranty if installed improperly

6. Builder (third response): Miami-Dade codes require installation on top of felt paper. We follow local codes. But will install on deck per my request. (nothing said about what the local code actually requires)

7. Building inspector: uhh, it seems like it would be better on top of the felt...

8. Manufacturer (local rep): Miami-Dade requires installation on top of felt, but also requires specific nailing techniques and many other requirements. Installing on top of felt without full Miami Dade compliance would not make sense. Acquiescing, he vaguely stated that local codes supercede manufacturer codes, some local installers install on felt, and I can't tell you anything more useful than that, but if it were me I would put it right on the deck.

9. Manufacturer Corporate (third response): Indeed, local codes may impact the way the product is installed.

As of this writting, I have instructed my installers to place the product installed on the deck. However, I'm VERY frustrated that there is not an individual that can give me a real answer as to how this should be installed and why.

Sorry for the vent...

Old 04-03-07, 12:22 PM
P
I can feel your frustration. The manufacturer has its requirements and the city has theirs. You should be able to find the city's written code. Copy it and send it to the manufacturer. Whatever you do DON'T rely on ANY VERBAL instruction from ANY city official. Ask them to show you the written code or have them instruct you on how to find it. There may not be a WRITTEN code concerning this issue. Fair warning though, they may not cooperate whatsoever. Usually though what the manufacturer requires is the route to go.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: