New Gutters-Aluminum Fascia Cap

Old 04-03-07, 02:05 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New Gutters-Aluminum Fascia Cap

we had a couple of quotes done for some new gutters for our house. One of the quotes had a line item for aluminum capping for our fascia boards. Is this a normal part of the gutter system? Is it something that I need? It is an extra $700 for the capping.

Thanks for the info!!

Dean

Old 04-03-07, 03:38 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

If I have it right they want to put a aluminum cover over the fascia boards.
Now do you need it or not??????? If the fascia boards are good . I cant see why you need it. Most of the time it is used when they use the aluminum to box in the over hang of the home also. So if the fascia is good Id say dont.

Old 04-03-07, 03:47 PM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If your boards are in good shape and they install the gutters correctly then you should be ok without the wrap. If the gutters hang lower than the roof drip edge and you have exposed fascia board above the guttering then either wrap or strip flashing will be needed.

What I tell people is that if you want to guarantee that you will never have to paint the fascia board and want to also guarantee the boards not to rot then by all means wrap the fascia.

It's not a requirement but will produce a more maintainence free house.

Old 04-05-07, 05:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,898 Upvotes on 1,704 Posts
For 1 thing, $700 is a little steep unless you've got 350' of fascia.

I also think it would be a waste of money, because if you ever plan to cover your soffit with aluminum soffit panels someday, the bottom lip of the fascia cover will need to overlap the front edge of the aluminum soffit. In other words, if you wanted to install the soffit in the future, the fascia would need to be re-wrapped anyway. So I agree with the others- if the fascia is in good shape, wait until later- its not necessary.

As primereef mentioned, you will want to be sure that none of your fascia will be visible ABOVE the gutter. Generally the gutter tucks up underneath the gutter apron. But depending on your current existing, you may or may not have an appropriate gutter apron up there. (some parts of the country use d-style drip edge along the rake, which doesn't work well with gutters) I would think that adding an appropriate flashing above the gutters (if needed) would be part of the job, not something you'd need to pay extra for. But it would be good to find that out up front. Some companies probably don't give a rats' gas, and just throw the gutters on and go.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: