New Low Slope Roof

Old 04-10-07, 11:31 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New Low Slope Roof

I live near Seattle. My house is a mid-century with a low slope roof, approx. 1700 sq. ft. It has a torch-down roof that appears to be at least 10 years old. It has several soft spots on it. It has had nails pop up and inside I have had water damage. My objective is to tear-off the old roof, including plywood; insulate and re-wire as needed, lay new plywood; then have a roofing contractor come in and apply a PVC type material roof.

I would also like to add a couple of ceiling fans and recessed lighting at the same time, hence the re-wiring.

What do I need to get this accomplished? Is there a place that I can get a project checklist or something that would help with tools needed for demo-ing the roof, what nail type to use or the benefits of types of different plywood to use. What about downspouts or venting. How do I know if I've addressed all of my needs or concerns.

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Old 04-11-07, 10:49 AM
P
Stay away from PVC materials for roofing. Even with UV inhibitors it will be very disappointing. I would simply use the torch down MB roofing. If you use the right fastners on the plywood and proper fire retardent underlament the torch will be sufficient. With your low pitch torch down may be your only option.

Old 04-12-07, 11:52 AM
D
Prime -
Could you be more specific as to what or why I would be disappointed with the PVC. So far, from the feedback I'm getting from my inqueries, torchdown is becoming a thing of the past and more and more roofers are going to the PVC material.

Old 04-12-07, 12:02 PM
Yes, PVC is becoming popular, but it is not really that good. Recently, we have been putting metal on flat type roofs. Less expensive, and never leaks if installed correctly. Also comes in many colors Just my thoughts.

Old 04-12-07, 05:34 PM
P
Thanks Jack. PVC has to be coated on a regular basis and its popular because of those wanting to make money on something new. Have you ever seen the pvc pipe exposed above ground? Anything pvc eventually will cause problems when exposed to uv rays.

Metal roofing is the way to go if its installed correctly. Its more expensive but longer lasting.

Old 04-18-07, 10:00 AM
D
Thanks for your reply. But PVC aside, what about the process and procedure for taking off the roof. Where do I start, what tools are going to be most effective?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: