Flat roof makeover??

Old 04-14-07, 12:09 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Flat roof makeover??

Hello,
I have a flat, pitched roof on my garage/shed. It is roofed with rolls of something (sorry, haven't got a clue what the material is called -- it's that gray, gritty stuff you see everywhere on flat roofs). The roof is fine, it doesn't leak or anything, but it's really ugly and I'd like to see something prettier when I look into my garden. Ideally, I'd like to see terracotta spanish tile or something similar. My question is - can I just lay tile directly on top of this roof or would it have to be reinforced or whatever (or is there such a thing as a lightweight tile)? Or does anyone have any suggestions on how to cheaply pretty up an ugly gray roof??
Any suggestions/help really appreciated!

Old 04-14-07, 01:10 PM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Roof

The terms flat and pitched are confusing. What is the roof pitch? Or is it completely flat? (level)

There are artificial tile-like materials available that would not be as heavy as real tile. Visit the roofing department at your home center and ask what is available. Some items may be special order, so take your roof measurements with you. Good luck with your project.

Old 04-15-07, 03:09 AM
P
It really depends on what you want to spend. It is always safe to remove the existing flat roof material. You can then inspect the decking to see where water may be getting in but just not coming through. Whatever material you decide it is an absolute must to install 15# tarpaper with a half lap installation. What I mean by this is to roll the underlayment at 18" overlap. Your first 18" row needs to either be 30# or 2 15# layers.

Many people are using the nice standing seam seamless metal roofing not the corrugated. Its more expensive but it looks nice and comes in several colors.

I would stay away from the 90# rolled roofing and go with the MB. You can get the cold adhesive type or the torch down type. I prefer the torch applied. The MB also come in a grandular surface as well. If you go with the MB it will take a different underlayment.

Keep us posted especially if I missed something you were lookinf for.

Old 04-18-07, 08:07 AM
C
What are the benefits/disadvantages between the two (90# vs MB)?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: