Q's: Leveling & Roof...

Old 04-15-07, 10:11 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Q's: Leveling & Roof...

Hello,
I have a 14x70 1991 with a tin/metal roof....it has many rust spots. Is this something that can be corrected? If so, what is involved, and how costly is this? It's VERY ugly! Will the rusty areas cause leaks eventually?

Next question...

I've read a lot about re-leveling on here. I just moved my mobile home here 1 year ago. I never knew that mobile homes needed to be releveled. Do all of them need that and why? How do you know if it needs to be done/ how often? What is involved in doing so?

Thank you very much!
Bella

Old 04-15-07, 04:48 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 850 Upvotes on 746 Posts
MH metal roofs usually need painting by the time they are 10 yrs old or so. Ideally you would sand off the rust, coat with a rust inhibitive primer and then either paint with aluminum paint [or any oil enamel] or use a fibered aluminum coating. The fibered aluminum coating does a decent job by itself of covering and holding back the rust. Do not use an white elastromeric coating without first priming the rust. Latex elastromeric will not stop rust!
Eventually rust will compromise the metal = leaks

Not all MHs need to be releveled. If you have doors that no longer open and shut properly, you may need to check the leveling. Releveling is fairly simple but does require a heavy duty hydraulic jack [I use a 12 ton] Using a level on the floor or the frame will get you plenty close. The pros use a water level when they originally level a MH but a regular level works fine for a diyer.

hope this helps,

mark

Old 04-18-07, 03:44 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Mark,
Thank you very much, you were very helpful!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: