Drip edge fascia leak

Old 04-19-07, 07:23 AM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Drip edge fascia leak

I've been experiencing water leakage under the drip edge. The water runs down the fascia behind the gutters or, worse, in back of the fasica and onto the plywood soffits. The problem seems to have started when we had new shingles installed. The new shingles are 3 in 1's and the pitch of the roof is 3/12. Before the new shingles were installed we had T-lock shingles and didn't experience the problem. The drip edge seems to be installed properly with it running over and into the back of the gutters. I've been told that 3 in 1 shingles are not recommended for shallow pitched roofs like our 3/12. Is that true? Will installation of T-locks again eliminate the problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 04-19-07, 08:22 AM
P
Smile

Some roofer will cut the first row of shingles longer so water can slide inside the gutters and not between gutter and facia...it works 50% of the time.This is especially true if you have an old gutters system you don't want to replace.

Old 04-19-07, 10:29 AM
Group Moderator
Received 937 Votes on 855 Posts
Sometimes the drip edge will not lay flat on the roof, and will be kicked up on the edge- sometimes due to the gutters spikes and ferrules. So a 3:12 pitch can become 2:12 or worse at the very edge of the roof. You might see if that's the case.

Other times, novice roofers will accidentally line up the seam of the starter row with the spaces between your 3 tab shingles. This will definately create a leak. You could also check that by lifting up a few tabs on that first row. The seam in the starter rows should be about 6" from the edge of a tab.

Old 04-19-07, 12:29 PM
P
Did the roofer shingle over the old shingles or did he tear off? Assuming he tore off, then I hope the drip edge was replaced from the get go?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: