Staining Shingles?

Old 04-28-07, 09:38 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Staining Shingles?

I'm hoping to get a little help from this group. I have purchased an old farm estate on a lake and have been re-habbing it myself basically from all recycled wood from old buildings on the property. I'm working on the small 14 x 14 original log cabin on the property that is over 150 years old. They had painted it white. I've taken it down to the natural logs and used a log sealer with a stain in it to make them look very old. The shingles are newer and are a whitish grey. I would rather not put alot of money into re-shingling at this time and was wondering if I could use a water based translucent stain with a sealer. Such as Valspar or a similar product. I can't find any information if it is ok to stain shingles. I'm looking for a few year temporary fit that will match the rest of the buildings and not stick out like a sore thumb the way it does now. Any advice would be so helpful.
R

Old 04-29-07, 05:30 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 821 Upvotes on 720 Posts
Welcome to the diy forums!

I've stained wooden shingles before but it's been a long time. You don't want to use just any old stain as the conditions are different than for siding. A deck stain might be ok, be sure to add extra mildewcide. Your local paint [not big box] store is the best place for coatings and specific advice.

It just dawned on me that you might be reffering to asphalt shingles, if so the short answer is no. Painting shingles pretty much ruins them. You can color them by taking a gallon of latex house paint and mixing it with a gallon or two of water and then lightly spraying [like a mist] the roof using care not to build up a paint film.

hope this helps

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: